Newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question

Hey guys... I have a DKMG. I just put a Tremsetter on the guitar and although the guitar plays great and stays in tune quite well, the tremolo plate is not exactly parallel to the body after installation. It leans back toward the body a little. It is not a big deal as far as playability - I have more than enough space to pull up on the bar. I was just wondering if this non-parallel situation will cause any undo wear on my setup? Is it okay for the guitar to just use it like it is?

Thanks,

Ed

some like theirs to sit back a bit. i like mine flush. since its pulled back that means its lowering your action at the bridge a bit. i'd say lower your trem posts to the height where your strings leave the saddles now, then adjust the springs/tremsetter the rest of the way to make it level. hope that helps

Comment

You should set it so that its level with the body. Adjust the springs in the back - loosen them and retune.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
        some like theirs to sit back a bit. i like mine flush. since its pulled back that means its lowering your action at the bridge a bit. i'd say lower your trem posts to the height where your strings leave the saddles now, then adjust the springs/tremsetter the rest of the way to make it level. hope that helps

I know the action is a little lower - but I realized that I like the way it plays better now. My only concern is that this non-parallel backwards tilting tremolo will cause me wear and tear problems down the road....

Comment

That shouldn't cause any issues down the road at all.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The only thing I could see that doing is putting upward force on the trem posts, eventually pulling them out of the body. But it would take years.

It's easy enough to adjust the trem springs to make it level, so why not just do it?
            Scott

Comment

If you like the way it plays I don't see any issues other than the one mentioned here. Good thinking BTW...

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              The only thing I could see that doing is putting upward force on the trem posts, eventually pulling them out of the body. But it would take years.

Comment

I would just adj the spring screws to level it out.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'd level it out too, but you'll have no long term effects by leaving it that way

Comment

Level it out, its not a hard job at all, only takes 5-10 minutes. If you're going to fix the action up, just remove the springs and strings then lower the posts. You dont want any tension on the knife edges when you turn the posts, the WILL wear out your knife edges fast.

I haven't seen any proof that having a trem uneven wears it out quicker but it's better to be safe than sorry.
                    THIS IS MY POST
                    Thanks for reading

Comment

Okay then, remember, I am new here so help me out. Here's what I plan to do:

1. take off the Tremsetter.
                      2. back out the screws on the remaining two springs so that the bridge is just above the parallel (to the body) position.
                      3. re-tune guitar
                      4. check bridge position/make adjustments
                      5. reinstall Tremsetter.

Anyone ever done this before with a Tremsetter? Is there an easier or better way?

Thanks,

Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X