Ringing Trem Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing Trem Springs?

I just picked up a new DX10 for crazy stupid cheap. It plays and sounds great, but once I got it home I noticed that there is a ringing sound every time I hit a D-flat anywhere on the neck. Nothing else, only D-flat.

It sounds like it’s resonating off of the trem springs...rings for a good 3 seconds after the note is sounded. It's set up with 3 springs arranged wide at the block and narrow at the claw. Is this something I can adjust out or should I be glad I’ve still got the receipt?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

That's awesome.

Seriously ... I've never heard of such a thing.

"D-flat anywhere on the neck"
    That just doesn't make sense.

Comment

The ringing usually comes from the wood between pickup route and the trem cavity being so thin. Try taking the backplate off and see if that stops the "soundhole" effect. There are other fixes as well. Try switching the springs around as well. You can always dampen it with thin foam or felt on the inside of the trem cavity as well.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
        The ringing usually comes from the wood between pickup route and the trem cavity being so thin. Try taking the backplate off and see if that stops the "soundhole" effect. There are other fixes as well.
        Possible ... but why only when playing a "D-flat anywhere on the neck" ???????

Is it more noticable plugged in or unplugged?
        Can you still hear it both ways?
        Last edited by Model1VH2; 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I

I always cram the foam you get when you buy a new PuP under the springs in the control cavity. Does a great job at eliminating that kind of sound.

Comment

Yeah, I hear it plugged or unplugged. I was wondering if the vibrations from D-flat were somehow matching the tension of the springs or something and causing the ringing. I dunno, it's just weird. I couldn't hear it in the store. Now it's making me crazy.:think:

Comment

Aarrgh! The springs are definately the problem. When I hit D-flat with the backplate off, I can reach around and stop the ringing with my hand against the springs. I crammed a piece of packing foam between the springs and the body and D-flat sounds normal except....

Now it rings in A!

Comment

Put a small piece of fabric or even a kleenex/paper towel in the spring cavity. It will absorb the vibration and should kill the problem.

Does the job on all my guitars.
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                  That's awesome.

Seriously ... I've never heard of such a thing.

"D-flat anywhere on the neck"
                  That just doesn't make sense.
                  why doesn't that make sense? you can hit a d flat in lots of places on the neck (octaves :idea
                  Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                  Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

A) he really meant any of the D flats on the neck, not that he could play a D flat anywhere on the neck, which is impossible...
                    B) the reason it only occurs on D flat is that's the resonant frequency of the springs in this case.

Best fix is some foam between the springs, not too tight or it affects return to pitch, just lightly touching them is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_shredder View Post
                      why doesn't that make sense? you can hit a d flat in lots of places on the neck (octaves :idea
                      I meant that it makes no sense that it would only ring while playing one particular tone (D-flat) anywhere on the neck.

Yeah ... I'm well aware of octaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                        I meant that it makes no sense that it would only ring while playing one particular tone (D-flat) anywhere on the neck.

Yeah ... I'm well aware of octaves.
                        ah ok
                        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Db->A = 4th so it's probably just the next resonant frequency of the springs.

I've seen some people attach foam to the back of the trem cover, so when the cover is installed it dampens the vibrations from the springs. You just want to make sure that whatever you put back there doesn't interfere with the spring action.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            Db->A = 4th so it's probably just the next resonant frequency of the springs.
                            Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what causes that?
                            And if it's a matter of "resonant frequency", wouldn't a spring adjustment cure it?
                            Maybe try removing the middle spring and adjusting the trem claw.
                            Or you could keep the 3 springs, block the trem, and adjust the trem claw.
                            Either way, I would think if you adjusted the springs, they would no longer be within that "resonant frequency", no?

Comment

Those solutions might work, or they might just change the resonant frequency & result in ringing at another pitch, plus they would change the way the trem feels or performs, whereas the foam trick works with any way you set up the trem.

Comment

Working...
                              X