OFR swap for JT580 LP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR swap for JT580 LP question

When swapping an OFR for a JT580 LP (on a RR3), do the OFR studs go into the existing stud housings or do those need to come out as well? Thanks for any info.

The threads are different, so if you wanted to use the OFR studs, you would have to swap the bushings as well.

Just use the existing suds.
    -Rick

Comment

T

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      The threads are different, so if you wanted to use the OFR studs, you would have to swap the bushings as well.

Just use the existing suds.
      There's a thread (I'm too lazy to search) on an easy method to swapping the bushing in this tech forum. The OFR bushings are much hardier, and probably worth the trouble to swap.

My $.02

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
        The OFR bushings are much hardier, and probably worth the trouble to swap.
        Says who?
        OFR myth number 1,004,732

JT580 studs are just as durable. I have yet to have a set wear out.
        The only reason I would ever swap them is if I was doing a hardware color change.
        -Rick

Comment

Speaking of which, I'm soon to replace my chrome OFR with a black OFR. When removing and/or installing the studs (you mean the posts against the floyd's knife edges?), what's the best way to do it without causing wood/finish cracks? Can I just replace the bushings being the top of the floyd would cover the posts ("studs") anyway?
          Last edited by wilkinsi; 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm gonna give the JT580 LP a chance. Might as well. And if I do end up swapping I'll give the old studs a chance too.

Comment

The black studs should go right into the bushings that are already on there. You can hardly see the bushings anyway, I don't think it would be worth the trouble. Just my opinion. If you were gonna do it though, I'd leave any type of "woodwork" to a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Speaking of which, I'm soon to replace my chrome OFR with a black OFR. When removing and/or installing the studs (you mean the posts against the floyd's knife edges?), what's the best way to do it without causing wood/finish cracks? Can I just replace the bushings being the top of the floyd would cover the posts ("studs") anyway?
                Just to clear things up.
                The "bushing" is the part the is IN the wood and the "post" is the part sticking OUT that the trems knife edges rest against.

OFR posts will not thread into JT580 bushings.
                If you want to use the OFR posts, you will need to pull the JT580 bushings out and install the OFR bushings.
                You do run the risk of flaking paint and/or damaging the wood if you don't pull them out properly.

Search the Tech QA section as their are some good instruction on how to do this safely.
                -Rick

Comment

Just to clear things up.
                  The "bushing" is the part the is IN the wood and the "post" is the part sticking OUT that the trems knife edges rest against.
                  To add on to that, for anyone who uses the term "Inserts", those are also known as the "bushings".

Might as well pitch in.
                  Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                  Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Just to clear things up.

OFR posts will not thread into JT580 bushings.
                    If you want to use the OFR posts, you will need to pull the JT580 bushings out and install the OFR bushings.
                    You do run the risk of flaking paint and/or damaging the wood if you don't pull them out properly.

Search the Tech QA section as their are some good instruction on how to do this safely.
                    Also when i change my bushings out I put a SMALL amount of glue on them to make sure they are secure. Dont overdo it on the glue if you decide to use some, that way you can remove them later on if you need to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X