Socal wiring mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socal wiring mods

I have a charvel Socal with a Dimarzio Evolution neck and Tonezone in the bridge. Both are 4 conductor pups and i'd like to wire in a tone pot and a 5 way switch to coil tap the pickups so i get this configuration:

1 Bridge full humbucking
    2 Split outer bridge coil
    3 Split inner coils of both neck and bridge
    4 Split outer coil neck
    5 Neck full humbucking

Colour codes for dimarsios are:
    Red: North start
    black: North finish
    White: South start
    Green: South finish

Now, i can't find any diagrams that show exactly what i need to do to the five way super switch to get the config i want. closest i've found is a seymour duncan diagram, except it leaves the middle position with both humbuckers on full. I can accept this, but i'd rather two pickups split in this situation. How can i wire that up? Can't find a diagram that explains each of the super switch positions and im fairly electronically dumb.

Here's the diagram: (I have done a fairly rough photoshop to change the wire colours to suit dimarzio.)

Can anyone show me how to get the two coils split in the 3rd position on the switch? any help will be much appreciated. Also just to confirm, to split the outer coils, i move that wire shown in the diagram off the ground and to the input of the volume pot? Thanks.
    THIS IS MY POST
    Thanks for reading

DiMarzio definitely needs to get a better setup for their wiring diagrams - make the easier to get to, and expand them like SD has.

But yeah, to split to the outer coils in 2 and 4, put that one wire on the pot instead of to Ground.

To get both split on 3:

Remove the Red wires in the diagram from the center tabs.

Now, jump the B+W wires to the center tabs on their side of the switch.

However, you want Outer coils on 2 and 4, but inner coils on 3, so that may be a different wiring scheme.

Anyway, following the above diagram, to split to the Inner coils, the B+W (which are the Outer coils) have to go to Ground. To get Outer coils, the Inner coils would have to go to Ground.

I think you'll need some way to swap the one lead of the switch to Ground and the Pot lug - maybe a push/pull.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Was having a think and came to the conclusion that i'd rather split the inner coils in both instances. The split bridge may come off as 'too' bright and i wouldn't use it much.

If i've understood correctly, this should work?:

Bridge full
      Bridge inner coil split
      Bridge / neck inner coils split
      Neck innter coil split
      Neck full
      THIS IS MY POST
      Thanks for reading

Comment

Yup
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Here's a question I've wanted to ask for a while, but never got round to.

What exactly, makes a "Super" or "Special" 5-way "Super" or "Special"?
          I assume it's the ability to split/run in parallel, but you can achieve that to some extent with a 3-way toggle. Is it the expanded wiring options or is there something more to it? (Apart from having way more lugs than you're ever going to use )
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
            Here's a question I've wanted to ask for a while, but never got round to.

What exactly, makes a "Super" or "Special" 5-way "Super" or "Special"?
            I assume it's the ability to split/run in parallel, but you can achieve that to some extent with a 3-way toggle. Is it the expanded wiring options or is there something more to it? (Apart from having way more lugs than you're ever going to use )
            Yeah, it's the "way more lugs.." thing

"Super-Sized", and all that.

However, dont say it's got more lugs than you'll ever need. I've recently discovered it doesn' thave enough lugs for what I want to do

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Yeah, it's the "way more lugs.." thing

"Super-Sized", and all that.

However, dont say it's got more lugs than you'll ever need. I've recently discovered it doesn' thave enough lugs for what I want to do
              Yeah, that last one you tried just blew me the hell away. Like seriously, what the hell, dude?!
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

24 lugs isn't enough?! wth?! lol.

Also, for the 500k pots, is it worth getting "Audio tapered" pots? I've seen the word a few times and i was wondering if there's a difference. I picked up a 500k pot a few days ago and noticed the lugs were a bit different to the pots on my guitars. I wouldn't imagine there'd be a difference but i may as well ask.

Edit: Looking at the original diagram and the "modified" one. Shouldn't i leave the red wires where they are? For position 2 and 4 (Coil tapped) it has the white and black wires on AND the red wires. Why do i need to remove the red ones for position 3?

like this

?
                Last edited by Zaneus; 05-30-2009, 12:33 AM.
                THIS IS MY POST
                Thanks for reading

Comment

Working...
                X