What I just read today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I just read today

I was reading an interesting interview with Todd Krause who builds guitars at Fender Custom Shop for Eric Clapton,Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Jeff Beck,Said "I used to work for Charvel and built many great Strat guitars but Can't call them as Strat".
    But as I am working at Fender, I can build "real" Strat or Tele".Most of solid guitars are influenced by Fender somehow that is the truth we can not deny and when we build new models, always refers to what Fender developed 50 years ago that is also true."

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree that many Charvel guitars like Strat, soloist,Dinky are influenced by Fender and Dinky and Soloist are great improved versions of what Fender created long time ago.

This thread is not talking about which is better and I just wanted to share with you guys what I just read.
    These guys at Fender Custom Shop,They work hard on thier asses and Sure Jackson Custom Shop will learn or guys at Fender will learn something from Jackson.
    Great for both companies.
    [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ December 05, 2002, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Re: What I just read today

That's the truth, good info. Wayne Charvel's original intent was to "hot rod" an existing guitar to make it play and perform better. Adding improved hardware his original shop was a modification outfit. Realizing quickly that players would buy the whole guitar, he began contracting with other makers for bodies, hardware, and necks. When Jackson took it over some years later, there were already huge improvements over the original designs. Compound fretboard radii, heavy duty locking trems, humbucker pickups, neck through body design, custom paint graphics, etc. Jackson never claimed to be a true innovator in basic guitar design, just an innovator in how to improve it so it would play, look, feel, and sound better.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Charvel, the Original Hot Rod Geetar [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Fender does indeed make a great guitar, but Charvel provided a specific service that Fender would not, due to the close-minded management of the time - break away from the traditional top-loaded electronics/ugly plastic pickguard to do figured maple tops, graphics, and the like.
        While the main issue I'm sure was the headstock, Fender was still losing some of the market that wanted the solid tops, just as Gibson was losing buyers who wanted options on their Explorers and Vs without paying Custom Shop prices.

I doubt Rhoads' first Jackson-made guitar cost him $2400 (though I could be wrong). As with any relatively unknown company, they are generally willing to do some price breaks to get their name out, just like a band would play free gigs to get exposure. Jackson/Charvel would both understand that selling their customs for near the cost of "Brand A" retail price to a player on the local circuit means he interacts with other players on the local circuit, and he can serve as advertisement for Jackson/Charvel.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah...Those "Fender Stars" and "Fender Warriors", etc. were SURE AHEAD of their TIME !!!!! [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Where does Fender imply anything about the Warrior and the star? Charvel/Jackson has stolen more from Fender than Fender has from them. Besides, Jackson got the wild shape ideas from BC Ricj [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It doesn't matter anyway. It is like music and other forms of art. Most ideas are not necessarily original, but can me made their own and still be quite beautiful.

Comment

The "ORIGINAL" odd shape designs "ahead of their time" Explorer, Moderne, Flying V.........flame suit on.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

The Explorer and the V were great ideas - the Moderne was not.
                The Ovation Breadwinner sucked. ("bread winner"???? WTF!?!? What's next, the "bacon-maker" and the "home-maker" and the "house-keeper"? What about the "dog-walker", "baby-sitter", and "quicker-picker-upper"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

*laughs ass off* [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, Ovation had the "Deacon" and the "Preacher" also.....They were going to name one "The Choir Boy", But uh......

-eric

Comment

True, I would have to agree with the Gibson V, Explorer and Moderne. Also the Rhoads was Randy's design. Grover didn't come up with it, he built it. Randy "designed" it. Besides, I am not saying that Jackson hasn't come up with anything original or is incapable of such. I was simply asking who was talking about the Warrior and the Star? It is all moot now anyway since Fender now owns Jackson.

Comment

Oh, and Charvel750, I forgot to say that I agree with the last part of your post! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh, and Charvel750, I forgot to say that I agree with the last part of your post! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

BigDaddy, the Rhoads is original Jackson. But that's not the point. As I mentioned in my initial post Jackson never tried to reinvent the guitar's basic design. Rather, Jackson was an innovator in making them play, look, feel, and sound better.
                            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                            Gotta get away from here.
                            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                            X