String spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String spacing

What exactly is f- spacing? The schaller floyd lists 2 1/8 as the spacing. Ive got a v-trem from allparts that measures allmost 2 1/4. The bridge on my model 1 is about 2 even. The spacing on my agile LP is 2 1/16. The reason I ask is because Im trying to use a model 2 neck on a body with this allparts bridge and the strings are just way too close to the edges of the fretboard for my taste. Do I need to find a charvel model 1 bridge to make this work? Ive used model series necks before with floyds and have not run into this problem. Also my vintage dimarzio SD is lost between the strings with this bridge. Even an f spaced pickup wouldnt line up with this thing. Do I just have an odd bridge? Or can you think of some other reason for this problem.

F-Spacing is the 53mm spacing on a humbucker, and that's obviously on the bridge end of the guitar.

A neck, as long as pockets are compatible, will work peachy with any bridge as long as it has the correct amount of strings. The easiest solution is if you've a locking nut, swap to a narrower one. That won't get the strings right over the pole pieces, but will pull the strings closer together, away from the edges of the neck. See how that works out. (Ofcourse, the bridge also falls into the equation, but if it's spacing on the neck that you're concerned about, see how swapping nuts will work)
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

The spacing is measured from Low E to the high E string.
      F-spacing (Fender/Floyd spacing, depends on who you ask) is wider (2" / 51mm) vs. standard spacing (1.9" / 48mm).
      Most trems give the measurement from the outside of each saddle.

Sounds like you have an extremely wide (odd) bridge.
      The nut you have (unless it was changed) is fine as it was designed to be used with a Floyd style bridge and F-Spaced pickups.

Post a pic of the setup if you can.
      -Rick

Comment

Oh yeah, they're 51mm, it's the string spacing of the floy that's 5mm. My bad.
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Ok, heres a pic.

The big problem s the low E flopping off the edge. Its the stock nut and the spacing is fine at the top of the neck. My model 1 and 2 both have lots of space to spare on each side of the E strings. I was also under the impression that the JT-6 on my model 2 was not f-spaced. I see narrower bridges for sale all over the place. If I get one will the 6 screw holes line up correctly? I see some of them have elongated holes for 5 of them, is that for a universal fit? Also, is ash a good hard wood for using the old fashioned screw in floyd studs? I was contemplating doing that if I cant get the v-trem thing sorted.

Comment

I recently put a Mighty Mite/Wilkinson Brass Trem on my Model 1 which has the 1 regular hole and 5 elongated holes. You will have to plug and redrill the 1 regular hole to make it work. The other 5 fit wihtin the range of the hole spacing. I don't use the Trem so I don't know how will it would work. I also had a GFS import Trem with the big steel block in it and the holes and spacing were correct but the Block was just a hair to big and would rub against one side of the cavity if you were to use the tremolo.

Comment

Working...
            X