Charvel Floyd Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Floyd Problem

My OFR has always had a loose fit when it came to trem arms. At first, i thought that the bar itself was at fought so i bought a new one. $40 from my store. The new one also had a loose fit. I have tried both bars in other guitars with OFR's and they fit snugly like they should.

I have my Floyd sitting in front of me and i disassembled the housing for the whammy bar and I've come to the conclusion that the housing itself is a little wider than it needs to be. I'm getting this checked out at the dealer next week to see if i can get a replacement covered under warranty, but until then i'll need a fix.

What can i use to get a snug fit between the Tremolo arm and the Tremolo housing? Tape doesn't work as it slowly wears down until all that'll left is the adhesive layer and then it's a pain to clean out.

Now for some pics so you can get a better idea

I guess it boils down to being the cheaper Korean OFR instead of the German made ones.
    THIS IS MY POST
    Thanks for reading

Apparently the Korean Floyd threads are not held to as tight a tolerance as the German bars. Easy enough to replace, but I'm not aware of any issues with any other part of the trem.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

When the bar wobbles, the collar itself stays put, its the bar itself that's moving around inside the housing. The cause of that wouldn't be the threads as it is tight as can be with no wobble on them.

Its just the bar inside the housing afaik.
      THIS IS MY POST
      Thanks for reading

Comment

stewmac has replacement bars with the housing for around $15 if they don't replace it through the warranty.

Comment

It's not a warranty issue, it's a manufacturing tolerance allowance. To keep the price low, the tolerance is greater, meaning the bar will not be tight in the post no matter how many Korean-made bars you go through.

Cost-cutting on hardware is better than cost-cutting on wood and fretwork - those things which are warranteed and harder (more expensive) to replace. Hardware and electronics are warranteed against DOA, that's it. If it's not to your liking (including the fit, country of manufacture, materials used, color, model, etc), then it's up to you to change them, not the manufacturer.

The bar performs its intended duty - it actuates the floating tremolo body. Therefore, I seriously doubt you're going to get it "fixed" under warranty because there's nothing "broken" about it.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've actually found the bar from my Korean floyd to hold a lot tighter than the bar on the new german floyd I replaced it with.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

quick fix

You can drop a pickup spring or a spring from a ball point pen, or a short piece or surgical tubing down in there and it will give you some upward pressure on the bar to reduce the wobbles.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura View Post
                You can drop a pickup spring or a spring from a ball point pen, or a short piece or surgical tubing down in there and it will give you some upward pressure on the bar to reduce the wobbles.
                I know that kind of works on screw-in vintage trem bars.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I have used a wrap or two of teflon tape.

Comment

I highly doubt that the warranty will cover the replacement of a trem arm with a bit of a wobble.
                    If it's within manufacturing spec, they can refuse to replace it.

Save the time and trouble and just order a genuine Schaller replacement arm.

Here... Under $20
                    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...g_Tremolo.html

These are genuine Schaller trem arms. These babies don't wobble.
                    Problem solved.
                    -Rick

Comment

Only real problem is that i'll be stuck with three bars then, heh. Is there a place where i can buy JUST the housing and coupling?
                      THIS IS MY POST
                      Thanks for reading

Comment

I don't know what the availability of genuine Schaller parts are in Australia, but I would stay away from generic (Licensed) replacement parts at all costs.
                        I have yet to find a "good" licensed replacement arm and collar.
                        -Rick

Comment

I have no intention of buying any licensed replacements. That said, i think buying the replacement from here in aus would end up costing me an arm and a leg. I'll be better off ordering from overseas.

Does anyone know of a place where i can order just the housing and coupling? i dont need the bar itself.
                          THIS IS MY POST
                          Thanks for reading

Comment

You really should get them as a set.
                            Buying just the collar alone will not guarantee the wobble will be resolved.

There's a reason Schaller packages and sells them as a set.
                            I don't now if Stewmac will ship to Australia, but their price is pretty cheap.
                            Under $15 US for the whole set. I think shipping is what will actually cost you more.
                            -Rick

Comment

I as able to fix the problem on mine by simply putting a rubber o-ring as shown in the pictures. It essentially acts as a lock washer, and the trem arm collar has stayed nice and tight with heavy trem use. It also eliminated any play in the trem arm as the collar is now holding it in place.

I found them at Home Depot in the kitcken faucet replacement parts section. It's a #6 o-ring 7/16" OD x 5/16" ID x 1/16", #96723. They were $1.70 for a package of ten.

Last edited by vondran; 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X