Adjusting truss rod because of season change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting truss rod because of season change

In the course of the past few weeks I noticed that 3 of my guitars that I have outside of their cases developed very annoying fret buzz in about first three frets and the intonation on first frets is off aswell. They sounded fine before. I blame it on season change and increased humidity due to the rise in temperature. Which way should I turn the truss rods?

Give it a quarter turn counter-clockwise.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yep, lefty loosey. I adjust my Fender neck at least twice a year because it sits on a stand in my bedroom all year long.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

truss

Think of it this way, if you tighten (clockwise) you are straightening the bow, used for too high action between the nut and about fret 7-9. If you loosen (counter-clockwise) you are allowing the neck to bow more aka into relief. But try to adjust the action at the sadlles first, if it's too high then adjuast the truss. Capice' ?
        Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Originally posted by leftybob View Post
          Think of it this way, if you tighten (clockwise) you are straightening the bow, used for too high action between the nut and about fret 7-9. If you loosen (counter-clockwise) you are allowing the neck to bow more aka into relief. But try to adjust the action at the sadlles first, if it's too high then adjuast the truss. Capice' ?
          I wouldn't bother with the saddles first if it's fine the rest of the year. I just wind up tightening and loosening the rod on my Fender at least twice a year due to climate change.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

True on Toejams statement if it's fine the rest of the year, my description is for a full setup, say you got a new to you guitar, set the action and the saddles for frets 10 on up to twenty whatever, then check the bow and action on down to the nut. If this does'nt set up right then the neck is funky, or the nut needs redone.
            Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Thanks guys, will loosen them tomorrow when I get back to the guitars. And yes, they were fine before, perfect setups.

Comment

This used to happen to me all the time. Once I started using a dehumidifier in my music room during the spring and summer, very few of my guitars ever needed adjustment. I've been told that 40% humidity is ideal.
                sigpic

Comment

It never happened to me before too, but lately I've been keeping windows open much more for more fresh air.

Comment

Working...
                  X