Dead fret at the 12 on the D string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead fret at the 12 on the D string

I bought my nephew a Fender Squire. At the shop I checked all the notes and it seemed fine. I put some GHS 9 - 46 strings on it and I hear some dead frets.... Can I fix this? This kind of blows.

I had this issue on my Straight Six Strat. Still have to get it fixed. I'm gonna pay attention to this thread too.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Have you checked the neck relief? It could have had heavier strings on at the store and now the neck has some backbow. That plus some unlevel frets could cause the problem.
      Scott

Comment

I always play 10's on my guitar. I tried some 9's and it was buzzy. You could raise the bridge,adjust the truss rod,easiest thing is put on a heavier gauge string.I went back to 10's and its good.

Comment

Give it a good set up with the 9's and go from there. as Spiv said I'd check for backbow first and make any corrections needed. It might be as simple as tweaking the truss rod.. changing to 10's might be a bandaid for the problem but not a true fix.

Comment

I definitely have a high fret. How difficult is the fix for that?
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Ben, if it's lifted, you could heat it with a soldering iron and tap it in deeper. If it's tall as a fretwork flaw, you'd have to get someone to level them, and then dress them and all that setup-nonsense =P.
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                I definitely have a high fret. How difficult is the fix for that?
                It's not difficult at all, and is something that you can correct with some basic tools.

To the original poster; straighten the neck out a little bit (you may have to add or remove relief). Although my gut feeling says that you have a high fret, since it's only one string and one fret location that's buzzing. Many import guitars don't have decent fretwork, so the action is usually a little higher to compensate for it. If you changed the strings and dropped the action, you may have revealed some fretwork opportunities.

Here's an EXCELLENT fret work tutorial that I found a few years back. It's pretty comprehensive and helpful.

Sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X