Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I almost feel like I am abusing this section of the forums but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I almost feel like I am abusing this section of the forums but...

... anyway... I am building a guitar with a KV shape but stratocaster setup. I have three single coils, but not exactly sure where to put them.

The scale is 25", and I have a 24 fret neck, so I can't just go and measure a strat to get my answer. If anyone here knows, (I.E. 4 mm from bottom of neck, 16mm from neck for middle, and 28mm for right side of bridge pickup, and 23mm for left side of bridge pickup), I would appreciate it.

I have looked far and wide all over the net, but nothing of any use is coming up.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

i think your just going to have to "wing" it, start with the bridge pickup at the regular strat distance, and space the other two out from there.
    btw this reminds me - james byrd has his own line of guitars, which are pretty cool retro vibe v's.
    check em out - http://www.byrdguitars.com/index4.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
      i think your just going to have to "wing" it, start with the bridge pickup at the regular strat distance, and space the other two out from there.
      btw this reminds me - james byrd has his own line of guitars, which are pretty cool retro vibe v's.
      check em out - http://www.byrdguitars.com/index4.htm
      I think you might be right. The axe I'm making is supposed to look exactly like that in regards to the controls.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Your pickup spacing depends on the tone you want. If you want a really bright bridge tone then you want it as close as possible to the bridge. If you want a really warm neck tone then slam it as close to the neck as you can get it. There is no true standard spacing for pickups. Ibanez on the RG series crams 2 hums and a single in a very small space compared to others. Strats are more spaced out with the bridge pickup being slanted to give it more bass and better highs from the bridge. Some do a reverse slant to tame the highs and make the lows more punchy. If you are working with a 25" scale then use something similar to carvins pickup layout since that will be very close to what you are working with.

Comment

Along with what atd added, I'd suggest starting at your neck pocket. Using your center line as your guide, mark a line perpendicular to the center line roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch south of the edge of the neck pocket for starters. Then mark a spot on your center line about and inch or so up from the where the edge of the bridge will be. This should give you enough room to angle the bridge pickup. I believe you want a 30 degree angle for the bridge pickup slant, so make that line and that will give you your bridge pickup location.

To get your middle pickup location, measure the distance of the two lines that you just drew and divide it by 2 to get your halfway point, and then mark that spot and draw a perpendicular line from your center line. You now have all three pickup locations marked out.

Another thing that can help you is to get an sss pickguard, lay it on the body, line it up with your neck pocket and trace the layout. Granted, if you have a really long fretboard overhang, you're going to have to take that into consideration. Either way, using the method above will get your location worked out.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thank you very much for your help!!

Comment

Working...
            X