Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring EMG ZW 81/85 set into an RR5

Hey guys.

I bought a Zakk Wylde EMG set to replace the dissapointing duncans that came with the RR5.

Has anyone got a true diagram to wire them in? there is one on the emg site which is very close (IE, 2v 1t) But has a gibson style 3 way switch and not the jackson style 3 way switch.

Also it states on the emg site, that i shouldnt ground to the bridge as the pups are internally sheilded and could cause shocks, but do i ground the pickups to the sheilding?

Also, i notice in the official wiring diagrams, there are three leads going to the jack and there are 3 prongs on that jack, my current jack input on the RR5 only has two prongs and two leads do i need to use a three prong one and why>?

cheers!

Rob.
    Last edited by Asomodai; 05-10-2009, 04:00 PM.

You sound like you're on the right track using the 2V/1T diagram; you just need to figure out how to wire that particular switch.

You should be able to figure this out by looking at your current wiring, or using an ohmmeter. Sorry I can't be of much more help but I'm pretty sure that diagrams for that switch are our there somewhere.

Anyway... What I can actually help you with I think...

Yes you definitely have to use the 1/4" stereo jack instead of the mono jack in your guitar now. You do this because this is how the switch works to turn the guitar on, so your batteries aren't being drained constantly. The mono guitar cord shorts the ring and sleeve connectors of the TRS jack (1/4" stereo jack) to turn on the active pickups when you plug in the guitar.

Don't hook up the bridge ground. It has nothing to do with the EMGs shocking as much as any guitar, under the right circumstances, potentially shocking you because of the bridge ground. So, with EMG's you don't need this bridge ground, and eliminate this risk.

I don't know what you mean by grounding the pickups to the shielding. If you are talking about the electronics cavity shielding, then the pots are grounded when they're screwed in place inside the guitar, and the pickups are connected to the pots, which means they are grounded to the shielding. Does that answer your question?

Comment

There is a 3 way switch conversion chart on seymourduncan.com.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post

I don't know what you mean by grounding the pickups to the shielding. If you are talking about the electronics cavity shielding, then the pots are grounded when they're screwed in place inside the guitar, and the pickups are connected to the pots, which means they are grounded to the shielding. Does that answer your question?
        On my RR5 there is a wire from a pot leading to a hook which is embedded in the sheilding.

Comment

Working...
        X