No announcement yet.

Anyone else using the EMG 81tw/89 set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else using the EMG 81tw/89 set?

First off how do you like this combo? I am very satisfied myself since this set is much more versitile than the 81/85 set
    i did want to ask is there any way to assign the single coil mode of BOTH pu's to the same push-pull Vol pot?
    My jackson dk-1 is wired up for two independent push/pull volume pots (NO TONE pot)
    one master vol for each EMG. I want just one push-pull to select full or single coil mode.
    Last edited by savage; 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM.
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

So the 81tw can be split? Cool.

Anyhoo, to split both with one pull, first figure out how to combine the 89's split wires to only 1 point on the switch (like with Duncans where you can put the red+white on one switch prong and still get split - don't know if the preamp/internals of an 89 require the wiring scheme they suggest - never tried it any other way.

But if you can do it like that, then just put the 81's splitting wires on the opposite prong.

The push/pull switch itself is 2 separate halves with 2 connections and a common center for each half. You can connect a pickup to one side (top middle bottom prongs) and something else to the other side (say swapping a 500K volume for a 250K volume, bypassing the Tone control, another pickup's splitters, etc).

Or you can modify the 3-way switch to have a totally separate connection that must be wired manually (rather than automatically being bridge+neck) but it involves taking the switch apart, and there's a lot of little parts in a 3-way switch.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for posting this info! Yea the 81tw can be split and IMHO sounds better than a regular 81 just as i think the 89 sounds a bit better than a 85
      Last edited by savage; 05-10-2009, 11:19 AM.
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Use a DPDT push pull pot. Here is the wiring for the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post

thanks that is another option

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post

That might work for passive humbuckers. Take a look at how an 89 is split:

http://symian.com/WB89.html

Comment

The emg book is simply assigning each half to a dedicted side of the switch with the common or center switch lug going to the hot leg of the pot. Since he is wanting to split 2 with the one P/P He would have to use individual volumes with P/P switches.

Comment

im interested in the 81-X/85-X and 81-X/60-X combos, from what it looks like they say theyre having like more tonal headroom, so it looks to me like they are trying to copy the blackouts, and they also are advertising their solderless connection which the regular emgs had anyways, so im guessing maybe blackouts don't have that and they are trying to appeal to us in that way, has anybody here actually installed blackouts, or inspected them?
                I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                X