Halp! My JT-6 conversion sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halp! My JT-6 conversion sucks!

OK this is my 87 Jackson strat, which had a JT-6 to OFR conversion done. I had a tech build a platform and install the Floyd nut:

The trouble is, the screw holes for the floyd nut are above that large truss rod cavity. So, the tech glued the nut on (I am unsure of the type of glue). I was a little worried about that, but decided to see how it held up. Not good! It's been glued twice, and has snapped off twice. I'll pull up on the bar after a few weeks of play and hear a loud "CRRRRRRRRACKKK!!!!". Now I don't know which was to go. HALP!

Wrap it with duct tape?
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Why not just drill new holes through the nut on either side of the truss rod route and run some short screws in?Not sure about the whole gluing thing looks like a hack job but...Go to Home Depot and buy some PL Construction Adhesive. This stuff is the ultimate glue. Try scuffing up the underside of the nut with some coarse sandpaper so the glue has something to grab. Wear latex gloves because the stuff gets messy and is impossible to get off your hands.
      Last edited by broken_fusion; 05-09-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
        Why not just drill new holes through the nut on either side of the truss rod route and run some short screws in?
        Not sure I can pull it off, it's really a surface area issue with the Floyd nut. Those nuts already have 5 holes in them, and drilling 2 more in safe locations might encroach on the other holes. But there just maaaaaaaaay be enough clearance to do that, but I think I've hit the "talent wall" with this tech.

Comment

There should be enough wood on either side of the truss rod hole for the screws to grab. The screws can be angled slightly to the outside which should clear the hole. I'm assuming the wood-metal interface deglued and not the wood shelf.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, what he said. Glue the thing in there the way you want it then drill the holes at a slight outward angle and tighten. This should hold it in place.

Comment

The angled screw idea sounds like a winner. If I can pull that off, maybe I wouldn't even need to glue it? Those holes are countersunk, so I guess I'm going to need to mod the nut a bit to pull this off.

Comment

Glue and pin the shelf to the headstock. Use 1/8" dowel pins and drill through the nutshelf into the headstock about 1/4" to stabilize the shelf.
                Once the shelf has cured and is secure screw the floyd nut to the shelf itself.
                If you are worried about the nut pulling off the shelf use #4 countersunk machine screws and t-nuts to mount it to the shelf itself. The #4 machine screws and t-nuts can be found in most hobby stores that carry RC planes.

Comment

Working...
                X