Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Chain and setup advice

Hi all,

I have been looking to make some large changes to setup in order to get a better sound for live play, perhaps you could make suggestions on some key changes for this current layout:

89 Jackson guitar (passive J50 pups – see wanted ad) --> Boss TU-2 Tuner --> Dunlop CG95 Wah (under review for change) --> Boss NS-2 suppressor (send) --> Zoom HL-2 dist (possible change) --> Boss PQ-4 Para EQ --> Boss EH-2 Enhancer --> Boss NS-2 Suppressor (return) --> Boss BF-3 Flanger/PH-3 Phaser (either or) --> Boss RC-2 Loop Station (not always in chain) --> Randall Commander II amp.

I am thinking of adding a Dunlop CG80 volume pedal in front of the Wah and want to switch the wah to one with more adjustment (possibly a DB-01 or CG95Q). The distortion I am open to advice on, I play metal and like the thrash sound - but also want some meat to back it up.

I also want a lead boost somewhere in there.

Thanks in advance.

Grab yourself a Big Muff Pi if you want a tone with a alot of "meat" to it.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
      Grab yourself a Big Muff Pi if you want a tone with a alot of "meat" to it.
      I looked at that, but it doesn't have the sound I want for metal, I was thinking of a Metal Muff (w/ top boost) though.

Comment

Bump...

Cummon guys why so quiet?

Perhaps I should say something bad about Metallica/Megadeth (delete as appropriate) to get the posts flowing...

There are loads of guys on here who know more about this tech stuff than me so please let the thinking juices (beer) flow.

Comment

some prefer the volume pedal in the loop.
          for some indepth aritcles and suggestions check out www.amptone.com .
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love the live sound I get.

Guitar->Genz Benz El Diablo 60C.

I think maybe having all of those pedals is sucking your tone.
            Scott

Comment

Call Dave Wireman - www.effectspedalboutique.com

Makes the finest distortion units I have ever heard. Tell him what you want and he will custom make it for about $200 or so for a double sided pedal - two foot switches.

Check out his reviews on harmony central or the gearpage.

I have one of his pedals and it just kills anything else I have ever heard.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I personally like the Dunlop 535q wah

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
                  I personally like the Dunlop 535q wah
                  I have been looking at that, can you give me a run down on it's Metal distortion performance?

The 95 works fine but I want more fine tuning ability and some more distortion compatibility.

Is the Dimebag model all hype or is it worth looking at over the 535? Or is the new Custom Audio Electronics version worth using?

The one report I have heard of the 535 is that the transition is very quick, which makes plying it a little hard to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
                    Call Dave Wireman - www.effectspedalboutique.com

Makes the finest distortion units I have ever heard. Tell him what you want and he will custom make it for about $200 or so for a double sided pedal - two foot switches.

Check out his reviews on harmony central or the gearpage.

I have one of his pedals and it just kills anything else I have ever heard.
                    Thanks I'll look into that, I was also looking at the Z'Vec metal in a box pedal. I assume this guy probably has much the same idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      I love the live sound I get.

Guitar->Genz Benz El Diablo 60C.

I think maybe having all of those pedals is sucking your tone.
                      You might be right.

However, for those of use who live in the real world and cannot afford a Randall RM100 head and 4x12 cab and a rack setup (what I would buy if I could afford it) we have to make do with adding pedals to a cheaper system to get the sound.

When I make it as a big time musician (about the same probability as becoming the Brawn F1 technical director!!!) I'll be sure to get my own sound engineer to run my rack setup whilst I am on stage, till then I'll have to keep tap dancing on the pedals

I am joking by the way, just incase you didn't pick up on the English sarcasm. I agree the pedals do suck some tone, we make do with what we have though.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                        I have been looking at that, can you give me a run down on it's Metal distortion performance?

The 95 works fine but I want more fine tuning ability and some more distortion compatibility.

Is the Dimebag model all hype or is it worth looking at over the 535? Or is the new Custom Audio Electronics version worth using?

The one report I have heard of the 535 is that the transition is very quick, which makes plying it a little hard to judge.
                        Best thing for you to do is go to a local Guitar Center and try them out. I can tell you my opinion but you never really get what you want until " You" try one out yourself. I loved my old 535q but im waiting on the Kirk Hammett wah I ordered to come in, it should be here any day now!!

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
                          Best thing for you to do is go to a local Guitar Center and try them out. I can tell you my opinion but you never really get what you want until " You" try one out yourself. I loved my old 535q but im waiting on the Kirk Hammett wah I ordered to come in, it should be here any day now!!
                          Good idea, will do. I usually try to avoid those places (i always end up spending money).

The one thing that might annoy them is when I show up with all my gear to run it through, that I know what it sounds like on my setup.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                            Good idea, will do. I usually try to avoid those places (i always end up spending money).

The one thing that might annoy them is when I show up with all my gear to run it through, that I know what it sounds like on my setup.
                            Well thats what they are suppose to be there for to help you get what you want. I did the same with my setup a few months back and they helped me everystep of the way. I will be doing the same thing with my new and improved setup when my wah comes in b/c if I dont like the way it sound then im not going to buy it, I will just buy another 535q and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X