Single Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coils

Ok, after finally sucessfully finishing my lapsteel, I have decided to finish a guitar I have been "building" for about five years. I will be a KV style, but instead of humbuckers, I am going to go with single coils. I've never seen a flying V with single coil pickups before. What would be a good for the money single coil pickup? I don't want to pay a mint, but I don't want shitty pickups either.
    Last edited by Musician78; 05-06-2009, 06:43 PM.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Never seen a V with singles? Well, I guess you've never seen the Yngwie's Gibson V with a strat layout =P
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
      Never seen a V with singles? Well, I guess you've never seen the Yngwie's Gibson V with a strat layout =P
      There's one in a Megadeth video. Dave M. buys it when he's a kid.

Don't know why you'd use singles when you could split a humbucker.

I guess SD SSL-1's for a vintage strat tone. Is that what you are after?

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
        Nope... cant say that I have.

Anyway, I have 4 other vs and several other guitars; all of which have humbuckers.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Here's Yngwie's V.

And here's a reverse Rhoads owned by someone here.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, thanks. It looks weird, but kinda cool. That Rhoads is pretty killer. And I usually don't like Rhoads.

Now why is the bridge pickup staggered? Is that purely aesthetics or does it actually serve a purpose?
            Last edited by Musician78; 05-06-2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I've seen pics of a few Rhoads models through the years with single coils, or at least H/S/S.

And here's Mustaine with his H/S/S King V.

Comment

nice cap. Did he join Suicidal Tendencies for a while?
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  nice cap. Did he join Suicidal Tendencies for a while?
                  I think he stole it from Mike Muir.

Comment

check ebay for deals on ebay if you have time for the big names. If not dragonfire's are cheap, the humbuckers are pretty good that I have used, GFS and mighty mite have good reps.

Comment

It also depends on what tones you're after. An Yngwie DiMarzio set if you're going to shred on it, Fender TexMexes if you're doing SRV/old ZZ Top etc, Gilmour EMGs if you want sparkling cleans and singing leads, Duncan SSLs if you're going for vintage tone (Buddy Holly, Dick Dale, Hendrix, etc).
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"I LOVE PLAYING IN WHAM!"
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          It also depends on what tones you're after. An Yngwie DiMarzio set if you're going to shred on it, Fender TexMexes if you're doing SRV/old ZZ Top etc, Gilmour EMGs if you want sparkling cleans and singing leads, Duncan SSLs if you're going for vintage tone (Buddy Holly, Dick Dale, Hendrix, etc).

Very true. I guess I just want something different. Not really sure what though. I saw some Wilkensons on ebay for cheap, but I have never heard of them... so I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post

"I LOVE PLAYING IN WHAM!"
                            Wake me up (dead) before I shoot up!

Comment

For me, you're going to want three different tonal options, so, something like a Hot or Cool Rails bridge, SSL-1 middle, Little 59 neck.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X