24 3/4" Sevens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 3/4" Sevens?

So there's the opinion that the 24 3/4" sixes can get muddy and so on. I'm wondering, would the low B on a seven turn to complete mud on a shortscale, or would there be hope. Also, how about a Bb for a low string? Can't be too bad, can it?
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Not just muddy, but the string would be too floppy and you'd have to use a heavier gauge. I wouldn't use anything less than 25.5" on a 7-string. I'm a big fan of the 24.75" scale on 6-strings, but I wouldn't really consider it on 7s.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My 7 string is 24.75" scale. Tuned to standard it's fine with 10-56s that I have on it. Tuned down a half step it gets a little floppy, but still sounds okay. I wouldn't go any lower without moving up to 58 or 60 on the bottom.
      Scott

Comment

I used a .070 on my 26.5" schecter

Comment

I couldn't use anything thinner than a .56 on my old Ibanez RG7620 or Schecter 007 Elite with 25.5" scale. A .58 or .60 would probably be better.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
            I used a .070 on my 26.5" schecter
            Jeff Loomis are we?

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider anything lower than a 70 on a 25 1/2", let alone a 24 3/4"

I'm guessing 70-somethin' would be the optimal high-tension gauge for something like Bb? I'm using 11-54s (in 24.75" of course. I used them in a 25.5" as well, but the neck had too much relief, sadly, hehe) in E, so I prefer that little extra stiffness. Here's a question: Would say, a .70 lock down at the nut firmly in place, and would it even fit properly in the saddle of a floyd? Seems like quite a tight fit as it is already

Just got thinking how much 24.75"s rule, how much sevens rule, and how much Eb rules, so I wondered how would alll those three come together.
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Crap, 70 would be like a bass string. It would be like putting a 56 on tuned to E. That's way to tight for me; I like my bends.

56 is definitely the minimum for a 24.75" B string though.
              Scott

Comment

It still wasn't really a stable Bb for me. I would have preferred .66/.68 but good luck finding them over here. I was a happy camper in B on a 6 until nevermore came along, the second I tuned to Bb all the songs I had written (in B) came out from under the table and pounded! All I had to choose from was 60 or 70 in zakk wylde sets so there ya go. 60 was perfect in standard tuning, absolutely wonderful. The semitone just turned it awry somehow, and the 70 was obviously too big. One day I hope to get into a 27" or 27.67" guitar and go through everything again. I miss having a seven!

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                  It still wasn't really a stable Bb for me. I would have preferred .66/.68 but good luck finding them over here. I was a happy camper in B on a 6 until nevermore came along, the second I tuned to Bb all the songs I had written (in B) came out from under the table and pounded! All I had to choose from was 60 or 70 in zakk wylde sets so there ya go. 60 was perfect in standard tuning, absolutely wonderful. The semitone just turned it awry somehow, and the 70 was obviously too big. One day I hope to get into a 27" or 27.67" guitar and go through everything again. I miss having a seven!
                  Would say, a .66 or a .68 lock down at the nut alright if you've a floyd? Or more precicely, would the Eb lock down all right,since the strings share string blocks?

Oh, and as a suggestion, you could try unravelling the windings right at the machinehead. Not sure about what bridge you have, and if a .70 would work at the bridge end with most regular bridges, but unravelling at the machinehead seems to help many folks. (Unravelling at the bridge just sounds like a bad idea. )
                  Last edited by Dred; 05-09-2009, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Oh it fit, being a string through and all. Was obviously tight on the machine head side, but after a couple of drinks it slipped right in.

Floyd wise I've no idea. Locking should be fine, just use a slightly longer screw. Maybe grind down one of the locking inserts if its too small on the bridge itself. That won't be fiddly at all

Comment

Working...
                    X