EMG wiring question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring question.

Ok, so I finally got around to installing my emgs in my predator body. Its all wired up and seems to be working great. Just one thing. I havent hooked up any of the ground wires from the body or trem to the back of the volume pot. Ive read on the internet where you shouldnt hook these up on emg equipped guitars. These are the wires from the painted pickup cavities and the trem claw. I dont seem to be getting any hums from anywhere when I touch the strings. Should I hook these wires up? Btw, Im digging the 81 in the bridge, the sa in the neck is bleh, but at least its a different sound than the bridge. This is my first guitar with active emgs.

No ground wires needed for EMGs. I just loop the wires back into the holes to keep em from touching stuff in the cavity.

I find there's a big drop in sound when switching from a humbucker EMG to a single coil. I compensated for the drop in a couple guitars by placing an SPC control in the single coil circuit with good results.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

There should be a metal braided shield over the lead. Solder that to the pot, and the pots to each other, and the jack ground to the pots.

The 81 is going to be way louder than the SA simply by nature. Even the 89 cuts to half volume when split.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cool, thanks, just what I needed to know.

Comment

I kind of wish EMG would make a humbucker sounding single coil sized pickup. All of their single coils sound like single coils. I guess they want you to buy one of the boosts to up the midrange to get a more humbuckerish sound.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            I kind of wish EMG would make a humbucker sounding single coil sized pickup. All of their single coils sound like single coils. I guess they want you to buy one of the boosts to up the midrange to get a more humbuckerish sound.
            That was probably gonna be my next question. Is there an active single coil sized humbucker that is an emg or will play nice in an emg setup? I was looking at those dragonfire ones on ebay hoping to find something too. All I could find were single coils.

Comment

Sadly it seems active-makers are stuck in Strat-land and simply haven't figured out that they need stacked/micro-hums like the Hot Rails or JB Jr.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X