Strange hole in a Tele body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange hole in a Tele body?

Some Tele bodies have a (non-functional?) hole drilled just above the lower horn. Examples from e-bay auctions:

I cannot imagine that wood knots are always on the same spot, has one of the more experienced luthiers on the board a rational explanation?

TIA, incster

Some Strats have that, too. I think it's just for tooling or something on the production line.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Awful big for a locator pin

Does this appear on USA bodies? If not, it could be a marker so people don't try to pass off cheap import bodies as higher-cost USA bodies.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought those were halmarks of Mexican bodies.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

It's where the MOV* is installed.

* Mojo Overflow Valve

Comment

^
            Scott

Comment

Yeah, Ive seen that mark on all the mexican strat and tele bodies. I thought it was for the cnc machine.

Comment

Most of the Mexi bodies have that.. The early Powerhouse Strats with the mid boost also had those same holes as well. What their purpose is I've never heard but I just figured it was something to do with the CNC as well. It is a great way to identify the body though. I've seen some pass through the shop with USA necks and bodies with those holes and have had to pass along the news that their used "bargain " usa strat wasn't quite what they thought it was. Maybe its like a blood groove on a knife. Looks good .. supposed to have a purpose but no one has ever witnessed it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
                  I've seen some pass through the shop with USA necks and bodies with those holes and have had to pass along the news that their used "bargain " usa strat wasn't quite what they thought it was.

Say it ain't so!
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just had a quick browse on ebay. It seems that a lot of the bodies advertised as USA made have that hole too. They have the 2 point trem too. I guess its not just the mex models anymore.

Comment

After asking around on the mystery hole without alot of answers I think we should just call it "taint" . taint pickup routes,,, taint control cavity route.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Does this appear on USA bodies?
                        I'm not sure. I've never taken the pickguard off my Double Fat Strat. Guess I'll have to look one day.
                        I do have a Floyded Strat body laying around that does have it, but I'm not sure where it was made.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No I don't think it appears on USA Strats, I can post a pic later when I'm home

Comment

Are there Mexican strats with a two-point trem?
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated!

I like how the people on this forum stay relaxed and helpful, even if one posts a question that does not directly relate to Jackson/Charvel guitars and does it on the arguably wrong forum.

I looked under the pickguard of a Mexican Strat I bought eight or nine years ago (traditional 6 screw trem) and it also has the mojo hole. My So-Cal doesn't have it - so CNCs can be programmed w/o locator hole/pivot on the body (and I have outed myself as Strat guy). Maybe it is just a combination of Fender tooling requirements plus having a nice spoiler/identification mark on a certain range of bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X