Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups

So my b-day is approaching and I'm gonna ask for some new pickups. I'm gonna ask for passives because they should be a direct drop in without having to change the pots or wiring, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking JB/59. But I also like the compression that exists in Exodus' tone. Does anyone know what Gary Holt uses? Any other suggestions are welcome also.

Sorry for the novel.

Doesn't he use EMGs?

Seriously, you're not hearing any compression from his pickups, you're hearing it from his rig (in a live situation) or from the studio gear (on CDs).

There's no such thing as recording the actual tone of the guitar and/or amp to a CD. Ever. It's not possible, because everything the sound passes through to get to the CD has its own "voice", which colors the end result.

You'd have to stand in front of his amp to hear his true tone.

So to that end, the pickups you choose are of little consequence. What you would first need to address is the amp. Pickups generally have the least effect on the sound compared to the amp head and speakers. While certain pickups do have discernable tonal characteristics, a JB, for example, will not sound the same through a JCM800 as it would through a TripleRec, or a 5150, or a Valveking. You'll hear the JB's tonal characteristics (i.e. fluffy lows, brittle highs, honky mids) in each amp, but each amp will itself either counter or add to those tonal characteristics.

That said, get a Custom Custom or Custom 5 and an ADA MP-1 or other tube-based programmable preamp and an external EQ (preferably programmable, with both Graphic and Parametric patches) and learn tone-sculpting.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, Nice description!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Newc, why should he get a Custom Custom or Custom 5? Didn't you just explain that pickups are of little consequence anyway? Sounds like the money would better spent duplicating your rig

to the OP, the JB/59 combo is a classic and I think you could be very happy with it, depending on what pickups you're changing from. From the Duncan site, it seems that Holt is using the Custom & Jazz
        http://www.seymourduncan.com/artists...red_artists/38
        I love the Duncan Custom - it's obvious to me now why sully has been recommending them to anyone who'll listen for years
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I thought Holt used TB-4s...
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Gary's tone has always ruled! He used to use EMGs at one time, but I think he uses Duncan JBs or Customs now in his Bernie Rico signature models. Though, a lot of his sound has to do with his Rane EQ.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Newc is on the money on this Q.Amp is most of the tone, guitar and pick ups are secondary.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Newc might be on the money but the OP was looking for pickup suggestions to spend his birthday money on. I assumed that the Gary Holt reference was a benchmark for the kind of tone the OP digs, not a request to exactly nail his sound. Hence the "other suggestions are welcome".

Somehow it became a discussion about the importance of the amp in your tone. The only thing missing from Newc's post was a healthy "forget trying to nail Gary's tone - working on getting your tone". Oh, and something about needing Holt's fingers...
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                X