speaker wiring and impedance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker wiring and impedance question

I have a 4x12 cabinet. i currently have two 16 ohm speakers installed. What is the best way to wire them (series or parallel)and what would the total ohms be for each way? I want to be able to add two more speakers easily when i can afford them so i want to make adding them easy (don't want to rewire the whole thing when the time comes) Thanks!

It would be best to wire two 16 ohm speakers in a parallel method like this:

This wiring is often used with two 16 ohm speakers (bringing the total system impedance to 8 ohms).

When you get all 4 of them in the cab, wire them in series/parallel like this:

That wiring will make four 16 ohm speakers rate at 16 ohms total for the cabinet.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Comment

No sweat.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I know.. "Holy thread resurection Batman"... But got a question relating to this thread. I have 2 4x12 cabs. One has 4 8ohm speakers wired in series/parallel (8ohm total), and the other has 4 16ohm in series/parallel (16 ohm total). My Blue voodoo has 8/16 ohm switch. Can I run both cabs and would I do it at 8 or 16?

And also, what's the sound difference in running a 16, 8, or 4 ohm cab? All things being the same like speaker model, power rating, etc., what's the difference?
          Last edited by warlok; 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
            I know.. "Holy thread resurection Batman"... But got a question relating to this thread. I have 2 4x12 cabs. One has 4 8ohm speakers wired in series/parallel (8ohm total), and the other has 4 16ohm in series/parallel (16 ohm total). My Blue voodoo has 8/16 ohm switch. Can I run both cabs and would I do it at 8 or 16?

And also, what's the sound difference in running a 16, 8, or 4 ohm cab? All things being the same like speaker model, power rating, etc., what's the difference?
            Running those two will yield a total impedance of 5.33 ohms. If you're going to do it, switch the amp to 8 ohms. It should probably be OK.

The tonal differences between different impedance ratings are going to be subtle, I would guess much more subtle than any other differences between the cabs.
            "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Working...
            X