Ok, last wiring question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, last wiring question...

I have a seymour duncan jb pickup that I am wiring to a volume pot... no tones... just the single pot. There are 5 wires coming from the pickup...an unshielded one, a red one, a black one, a white one and a green one. Which ones should I use? the ground, which I am assuming at this point to be the unshielded one, as in most pickups I have seen is going to be grounded to the pot. Which one should I use as the hot wire?
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

um u solder the red and white together wire the bare and the green to underneath te pot and the black to one of the the three teeth like things on the pot

hope that helps a bit man

good luck

Comment

Red and white connect the north and south poles.. Solder them together and heat shrink the connection.
      Green and the bare are Sheilds and are soldered to the back of the pot.
      Black is hot.. Looking at the back of the pot with the 3 legs pointing down it will be the leg to your left.. The leg to the far right is grounded to the back of the pot.. That leaves the center as the hot leg out to the output.

Comment

The 3 legs dont point down unless Im looking at the front of the pot...
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I got everything hooked up and it is humming like a bastard....

Comment

You either have the hot wire reversed or your not grounded.
            Check seymourduncan.com for the single humbucker wiring.. That should help as well.

Comment

Weird, I didnt see that when I went to the site earlier....

Anyhow, I have it connected exactly as shown. Whatever. This whole project has been a problem, why not this part too...?

Comment

i've found that my guitars hum and scream unless i connect a tone pot and .022 cap.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Man, I hope that isn't the case... I routed only for the volume pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                    i've found that my guitars hum and scream unless i connect a tone pot and .022 cap.
                    Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                    Man, I hope that isn't the case... I routed only for the volume pot.
                    Yeah, but don't some Jackson's have only one Volume pot & no Tone pots? I could just be a wiring issue, right?
                    Last edited by Sharkfin; 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      Yeah, but don't some Jackson's have only one Volume pot & no Tone pots? I could just be a wiring issue, right?

I must have somehow had a crappy ground, because I unsoldered everything and resoldered it exactly as it was, and now the noise is significantly less. As soon as I get my pickup ring, I will string it up and see how it sounds.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Comment

Remember, the Red and White wires do not connect to anything except each other. Solder them together and wrap them in electrical tape to prevent them form touching anything. Those are your Split wires.

Green and Black can be used as either Hot or Ground - either way will work fine since it's just a 1-hum.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X