Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't seem to get the string ground to adhere to the bridge post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't seem to get the string ground to adhere to the bridge post...

...on the guitar I am building. *Sigh* If I leave it out, am I doing something really bad? No matter how much solder I seem to use, the joint just breaks right off with minimal movement....
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
    ...on the guitar I am building. *Sigh* If I leave it out, am I doing something really bad? No matter how much solder I seem to use, the joint just breaks right off with minimal movement....
    What kind of bridge post?. There are some metals that dont take solder very well.

Comment

Ya.. upon further research I am finding that out. I think it is nickel or chrome or something. Not really sure to be honest. I do know that whatever it is, it DEFINITELY doesn't take solder very well.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Scratch up the surface to which you are soldering. Use flux. Use a hi-wattage soldering iron.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

If its just a post or stud then use a contact connection by leaving the end bare and slipping the post in beside it.. Gibson has done it for years.
          If its a trem claw do as turk said.

Comment

Scratch the surface then get some flux and put it on the post. You will need the heat the post up not the solder to make the solder stick. If you heat the solder you will get a cold solder joint and it wont adhere. Also if it's a fixed bridge like Tune-O-Matic just having the ground make contact will be enough.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Paperclip into the base of the post hole works. You don't have to solder it, the insert isn't going anywhere and neither is the wire once the insert is inserted.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sweet, thank you very much for your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X