Avatar Pics - IMPORTANT - ALL READ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar Pics - IMPORTANT - ALL READ

We have discovered one feature of the Ultimate BB software that isn't the greatest..... avatar pics. Ideally, the software should resize your avatar pic to the little pic you see in your posts and change the filesize to something small. Unfortunately, while it does make your avatar pic small, it's still pulling in the whole huge file it started from.

Try this, in Internet Explorer, right click on any avatar pic and choose "properties". You can then see it's filesize. Then do a right click, file save as, and save the file to your desktop. Then click on the file and watch it open to it's full size.

These large avatar pic files can create very slow loading Board pages for people with a dial-up connection. You get 5-10 of these large files and the pages will timeout while trying to load avatar images. I myself was guilty of this with a 101K avatar pic until someone here on the board helped me downsize and sharpen my pic.

Ideally, we would like everyone's avatar pics to be 15K or smaller. Most that are already downsized to the proper size are 2-8K. While having some problems getting pages to load tonight, I started checking peoples avatar filesizes. Not picking on anyone in particular(I was guilty too) but here's a few I found that were slowing things down, I'm sure there are MANY more:

Rockpro - 81K
    Tonemonster - 138K
    Troy from Vent - 61K
    WarriorX7 - 44K
    Nofloyds - 112K
    MrWhite - 34K
    Diablomozart - 35K

I was curious to see what something as small as a 35K file might really look like when saved and then opened up to fullsize. I saved Diablomozarts file, opened it up and it was larger than my full screen......hahahaha. 35K isn't bad but I'll bet that could be downsized to about 2K.

Let's all try to downsize our avatar pics to 15K or smaller. If you need some help, just post here and I'm sure people will help you out.

Thanks!

[ December 04, 2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: GregCrowe ]

Re: Avatar Pics - IMPORTANT - ALL READ

Yeah, you all need to have an avatar pic as small as mine. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

You look like Mr White in that pic! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

haha, i rule and I'm animated
        <---894 bytes, not even 1k

Comment

... most of the avatars should get cached by your browser, so only the first time a page w/ a new avatar is loaded should be slow (unless you manually trigger a full reload by hitting the reload button).

FYI this board's loading of avatar pics is not any different than EZBoard, which also causes your browser to download & then downsize the full pic (as I can see in my webserver logs from users who were hosting their avatars on it). The problem might simply be that this board seems to display more posts per page than EZBoard does, hence more avatars get loaded per page.

OK, maybe I'm just pissed 'cause Newc down-sized his hot-babe avatar, which means I can no longer:

right-click->view image*->...drool...

*Mozilla option... not so easy to expand the image if you use IE!

[OK, bad example: I just noticed that Newc has the full image in his profile!]

[ December 04, 2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Bert ]

Comment

Audiophile, you may be animated but you sure lack definition...I can see where every one of those 894 bytes went!!.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I had Ezoard set to display lots more posts than I can on UBB. I had it displaying 100 posts per page, that was great.....

Comment

Not trying to rat anyone out, but VoiceX3 has a huge avatar - you might want to give him a head's up.

Comment

i'll have to have my better half resize it...it's directly from the website and i don't know what it's used for...lol...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

how about 12k?...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I was lurking here a couple of days ago on my roomates VERY slow old dialup, and I could watch the addy's of the avatar pics one by one as they load. They are definately slowing things down.

Comment

I disabled avatars in my profile settings. I shold be seeing mine, but not anyone else's, but I don't see any of them - bummer, but at least I don't get timeouts unless I've got three windows open and one of them is a loading Ebay search results page [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think EZBoard was set up so that the page loads even if the pics time out.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How do I resize my image?? i've tried imaging, paint, image preview nothing?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Just post your image here or provide a link to it. I'm sure someone will resize it for you.

Comment

Consider it done, Greg. Although mine was only about 25k anyhoo. It's now cruising at a healthy 12k.

btw, it's easy to view avatars at full size in IE - simply grab it with your mouse and drag it to your address bar
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Sorry boss! I meant to change mine when all of this stuff was goin around the first time but never got around to it. How's this? Should be 2k.

Comment

Working...
                              X