Question for the wiring gods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the wiring gods...

...in every guitar I have ever seen with a tremelo, there is a wire grounded to the trem claw.... what is this wire grounded to if there is no trem? Is it just grounded to a pot?
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

All that is is a string ground. So in a tuna-matic or string through or fixed bridge a wire can still go from the bridge post to a common ground. In the fixed Kahler APM 3310 (as on Jackson KV-1's for instance) the wire is just placed underneath the Kahler and ran to a common ground.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

What is a string ground? Sorry for ignorance concerning proper terminology...
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

It simply grounds your strings. SO when your playing or touching the string or bridge the hum stops in som ecases and so you dont get shocked in other cases.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
          It simply grounds your strings. SO when your playing or touching the string or bridge the hum stops in som ecases and so you dont get shocked in other cases.

Wow. I honestly didn't know those were necessary. How would I attach it to a Les Paul Jr. bridge mounting post... just solder the wire to the post before putting the post in the guitar? This is a learning process for me... I'm figuring things out as I go along.

Comment

Notice how a guitar may sometimes get quieter when you touch the strings/machine heads/lock nut/bridge/etc,? A string ground eliminates a lot of that noise so there's no need to keep a hold on to your guitar. Like 750 said, it runs from the bridge post to a common ground (may run straight to the output ground lug or so, depends what the owner wants). The bridge touches the strings, the strings touch the machine heads along with any other hardware in their path, basically silencing your rig.

Hope that helps

-Damn, beaten to the punch
            Last edited by Dred; 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM.
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
              Wow. I honestly didn't know those were necessary. How would I attach it to a Les Paul Jr. bridge mounting post... just solder the wire to the post before putting the post in the guitar? This is a learning process for me... I'm figuring things out as I go along.
              Yes. Be sure to feed the wire through the mounting hole first, but you probabbly guessed that. Also, clean the bottom of the post before soldering. It will make for a better joint. Try finer grit sandpaper, but some simple flux works just fine
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
                Notice how a guitar may sometimes get quieter when you touch the strings/machine heads/lock nut/bridge/etc,? A string ground eliminates a lot of that noise so there's no need to keep a hold on to your guitar. Like 750 said, it runs from the bridge post to a common ground (may run straight to the output ground lug or so, depends what the owner wants). The bridge touches the strings, the strings touch the machine heads along with any other hardware in their path, basically silencing your rig.

Hope that helps
                Ya, I've actually noticed it on all my guitars at extreme high gains...... I just assumed that I became a ground of some sort. *No common sense applies*.

Ty for the clarification. I wasn't even going to use one.

Comment

Working...
                X