JT-6 - How to remove bar collar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-6 - How to remove bar collar?

So I got a schaller collar and bar to replace my broken bar on my JT6 and I can't seem to get the old threaded collar out of the baseplate. Is there some kind of method that I'm missing? I removed the small nut from the bottom and pulled the little tension arm out but I can't seem to get the threads to 'catch' to screw it out.

Should I say fuggums and just hammer it or load up a cutting disc on the dremel?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Mine came right out. If it threaded use a crescent wrench to take it out, either that or use some WD40 to loosen it up so it can be removed.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      I can't seem to get the threads to 'catch' to screw it out.

So if I'm understanding it right, it's spinning freely but can't be unscrewed out of the baseplate? The ones I've had have all unscrewed pretty easily, so I guess the threads are stripped or buggered up on either the socket or the baseplate. I'd spend a few minutes trying to unscrew while applying some upward pressure on the socket. If that doesn't work (and I'm thinking it probably won't), I'd opt for cutting with the dremel rather than hammering on it. If you can cut it close, it may slip right out if the threads are completely stripped. If it's still stuck at that point, you should be able to drill it out. You'll have to enlarge the hole in the baseplate a little bit for for the new socket anyway (usually just about to the depth of the threads), so you'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Comment

Correct, it's spinning in place and I have the lower nut off the barrel, I just cant get the barrel to come out. I think the threads that were once in the baseplate have been mashed over time. This metal is SOFT. I think the dremel cutter disc is the way to go. If I mess it up, I've been looking for a good excuse to pick up an OFR or a graphtec hehe.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Upward pressure while turning should do it or tap with a light hammer threads are fubar anyway.The schaller collar should press in tho'.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah I tried the upward pressure while turning and didn't realy get anywhere with it. I think it's because the baseplate is harder metal than the collar and the baseplate threads are the part that is stripped.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The more I think about this, you may be able to tap it out gently since the baseplate is made of some pretty soft pot metal, but the main reason I think drilling may be easier is that you could probably drill it out without taking the trem completely apart, whereas I'd definitely take the trem apart & rest as much of the baseplate as possible on a flat surface if I were going to tap on the socket w/ a hammer. It's soft enough to bend otherwise, imo. Seriously, you can scrape the socket threads out of these with a screwdriver blade. It ranks just slightly ahead of lead in hardness.

Comment

Working...
              X