• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS4 trem swap; intonation e flat?

Hi Guys

So I've just bought one of these new Guitar Fetish floyds for giggles:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/neblsuhedufl.html

Seems good, solid baseplate is the main thing for me. Brass block is great but it doesn't look like the highest grade brass I've ever seen hehe. We will see. I don't like the screw in arm (prefer the collar type) but I'll fix that.

I'm dropping this in a PS4 that I am reviving. I fully realise that the locking screw/bolts will stick out the back of the route; which is okay; I'll be blocking it for down only action anyway.

What I'm wondering is that if anyone who has done such a swap (ie a JT590/schaller to an OFR/gotoh/ping sized trem) tunes down and at what pitch does intonation become an issue? I read on http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...htm#intonation that there can be issues with down tuning. My band plays in e flat standard; I prefer 10-52s or 10-49s. Anyone foresee an issue with saddle travel?

If it really doesn't work I'll slap it on something else, just thought I'd ask.

If you're tuned down half a step there is still enough range for intonation. Especially if you string it up with 10's. No need to worry there.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
      If you're tuned down half a step there is still enough range for intonation. Especially if you string it up with 10's. No need to worry there.
      Perfect. Thanking you!

Comment

I Looks like that is based off the Gotoh floyd and might have clearance issues on the bottom. i saw an ESP with a Peavey floyd (made by gotoh) and it was touching the side. Why not get one of these?

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Trem...e_Special.html

Supposed to be harded like a floyd and you wont have that issue and should go right in.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
          I Looks like that is based off the Gotoh floyd and might have clearance issues on the bottom. i saw an ESP with a Peavey floyd (made by gotoh) and it was touching the side. Why not get one of these?

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Trem...e_Special.html

Supposed to be harded like a floyd and you wont have that issue and should go right in.
          Do you mean clearance issues like the block is too long or not long enough? If worst comes to worst I do have a router

Thanks for the link, never saw that site before. If their shipping to Australia is good then they just got a new customer!

Comment

84sups will have hands on experience as thats pretty much how the ps4 i'm sending him is. its got a takeuchi trem on it and i was gonna block it to only dump, but its got a lil room to pull so i left it. works fine. i didnt have any issues.

oh wait no its not. the takeuchi has the long lockscrews.
            Last edited by jdr94; 04-22-2009, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
              84sups will have hands on experience as thats pretty much how the ps4 i'm sending him is. its got a takeuchi trem on it and i was gonna block it to only dump, but its got a lil room to pull so i left it. works fine. i didnt have any issues.

oh wait no its not. the takeuchi has the long lockscrews.
              Yeah. I got a Takeuchi (TRS101) too which does have the long lockscrews for sure. But I will be definitely doing down only so not sure that's going to bug me too much.

Could always do that crazy Jem style claw route at the back hahaha

Comment

I'll put a OFR on my PS4 tomorrow and snap pics. Can't right now, gotta get to sleep.
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by slowmotion View Post
                  Yeah. I got a Takeuchi (TRS101) too which does have the long lockscrews for sure. But I will be definitely doing down only so not sure that's going to bug me too much.

Could always do that crazy Jem style claw route at the back hahaha
                  If you have TRS101 tram you will definitely ba able to fit a OFR on there. Shoot a pic of the trem.
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

If you have TRS101 tram you will definitely ba able to fit a OFR on there. Shoot a pic of the trem.
                    Ah no I mean I have an TRS101 from another guitar (it's an old Headway). I tried it last night. It's a touch too wide on the baseplate for the route; but nothing a little chiselling or router couldn't fix. So I suspect that answers my question; an OFR will require much the same.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by slowmotion View Post
                      Ah no I mean I have an TRS101 from another guitar (it's an old Headway). I tried it last night. It's a touch too wide on the baseplate for the route; but nothing a little chiselling or router couldn't fix. So I suspect that answers my question; an OFR will require much the same.

Thanks guys!
                      I think an OFR will fit just fine. The OFRs, the schallers and the Schaller knockoffs, like the original trem on a ps4, have a smaller footprint, and gotohs and a lot of licensed trems are a bit bigger and and will hit the sides of the rout.

Comment

The lock screws will be a little too long and hang over the route. I got pictures and can't find my cord to upload em. It isn't very much but enough that if you pull back even a little it will touch. If you are handy with a router (chisels have no place touching a guitar) you can easily route it out.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

The lock screws will be a little too long and hang over the route. I got pictures and can't find my cord to upload em. It isn't very much but enough that if you pull back even a little it will touch. If you are handy with a router (chisels have no place touching a guitar) you can easily route it out.
                          Yeah that's cool. I'm wanting it for down dives only anyways.

Not sure if I agree with the chisels comment though; there was a time before routers and CNC and there will always be need for hand tools and skills. I'm not saying I'd recreate a route by hand with a chisel (hell no)! But I wouldn't hesitate using one to chip off a few mm here and there within reason, assuming they are good chisels and not a hack job.

I remember having to do dovetails by hand back in school and thinking it was going to be impossible, but it's not if you have decent equipment and take your time. Or are Billy Sheehan or EVH and don't give a crap for aesthetics haha

Comment

This is true. I was commenting on the footprint of the baseplate only.

Comment

here ya go

It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X