Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 USA RR Wiring problem

Hi all,

Been a member for a while but don't post too often. Recently relocated from the UK to Indy (any locals please say hi).

I still have my 86 USA Soloist Student and 89 USA Rhoads (was it RR1 back then?).

I much prefer the sound of the 86: It has J80's with the JE1200 circuit and a 5 way selector.

The Rhoads has covered J50's and a basic wiring with the 3 way selector. It isn't sounding it's best these days and I was looking for advice in updating it.

I have a hum which I am sure is a grounding issue, and the Pups just sound flat. The volumes do work but there is little variation through the rotation of the bridge knob, it is either all on or all off. The tone I think works but I really can't tell. The selector can be noisy on switch.

If I simply get new pots and rewire it will it still sound dull? (i.e. are the J50's either too old or were just never man enough to start with?)

Or will rewiring it with new pots (and possibly a selector) give it a new lease of life?

You all may remember me asking for covered J90's to put into this a year or so ago, I lost interest in that idea on further thought. But could it be that I need to go this route anyway? (as well as a rewire).

Whilst I am at it is it worth going the whole hog and putting in a JE1*** series circuit? If so what is still available? (2 years ago I bought a brand new JE1200 from Fender Europe, dunno if they are still in stock though).

Thanks in advance.

The J50 wasn't really all that great IMO. It needed something like the JExxxx booster board to give it power, but it still had no balls.

I'd go full-on Duncans or DiMarzios and skip the in-house pickups.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

+1 to everything Newc says, but if you really want a JE-1200 there are clones available here:

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/hardwar..._Finn_Guitars_

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        The J50 wasn't really all that great IMO. It needed something like the JExxxx booster board to give it power, but it still had no balls.

I'd go full-on Duncans or DiMarzios and skip the in-house pickups.
        Agreed on the first point.

On the second; believe it or not I actually like the stock Jackson pickup sound. I really dig the sound and feel of the J80 setup in my Soloist. I know that SD and other pickup brands are more modern etc but I really like that thrashy sound I get from the old Jackson stuff.

Ideally I want to be able to replicate that in my RR. But I did suspect the J50's were somewhat to blame for the poo sound I have been getting.

Is that a vote on leaving the pots alone and just swapping the pups? Or are we into a full wiring rebuild here?

Comment

I'm guessing that's a no vote for the J50.

I have a J50BC in my Fusion Pro and like the sound a LOT, but I'm probably playing different stuff than you, and with a different amp and different speakers.

Comment

Working...
          X