The Charvel Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Charvel Star

Ok, IMO I think the Star shape is awesome, but there is so much mystery (at least for me) about it. How did it come about? Who made it famous? Why isn't on the Charvel website anymore? -I just think an awesome Charvel/Jackson guitar has fallen in obscurity.
    Ratt & Roll

I read somewhere that Grover got the idea from EVH's hacked up destroyer.

Comment

That's really cool! -I wondered that myself by comparing them. thanks for your input!
      Ratt & Roll

Comment

The Star is one of my favorite shapes. In a smaller club/stage a RR you have to careful with the horn but with the star it is not so bad.
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

So were they a jackson design, a charvel design or a joint effort.

Here are some clips of Chris Holmes (remember him) using one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPNDH...C4495F&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PssDbPGhHhI&feature=PlayList&p=D63E652DA8C 4495F&index=2

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            I read somewhere that Grover got the idea from EVH's hacked up destroyer.
            The "Star" guitar is named after EVH. Wayne Charvel made it for him after his hacked up Ibanez Destroyer. http://www.wayneguitars.com/guitars/star.html

The Star is a great shape, but access to the high frets can be a pain if you've got big hands. Here's the '05 model I had, traded it last summer to Scott (Stuka).

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              The "Star" guitar is named after EVH. Wayne Charvel made it for him after his hacked up Ibanez Destroyer.
              Not that I don't trust what Wayne has to say about himself, but what is the earliest recorded Star or Star body? Anybody know?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

As far as I know it was Wayne's shop made version of EVH hacked Ibanez. I believe the first appearances was probably Ed's black and white one with the dano neck on it.

Comment

That's the way I've always understood it as well - EVH "made" the first one (Women And Children First cover) and Wayne refined the design (or at least set out to build it correctly rather than start with an Explorer/Destroyer and reduce it like Ed did).

And I gotta agree with TJ about the upper fret access - the horn's just a bit tight to the neck IMO. Maybe if it was kicked out more like a Strat. Not quite as far/rounded, but maybe 1/2" further away from the neck edge.

Then again, it never bothered Chris Holmes, so....
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This is awesome!!! Thank you guys for your posts and info
                    Ratt & Roll

Comment

That story seems plausible to me for sure. However, I would take anything that Wayne says with a grain of salt. He has a history of trying to take credit for anything "Charvel", notwithstanding the fact the he sold the company and ended association with it in 1978, well before 99% of the giutars which everyone thinks of when someone says Charvel were actually made.

The guy who started "McDonalds" sold out to a guy named Ray Crock (sp?). Bill Gates actually bought the base rights to "Dos" to really get his company off the ground, talk about a fuk up by the original designer. Sometimes its not what you have, but what you do with it.
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Kroc
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I think Akira Takasaki is probably most recognizable with that shape...tho I know it wasn't a Charvel per se that he was playing.

Yup Chris Holmes of WASP and Eddies sawed up destroyer are the other two most recognized with that shape.

Comment

+1 Chris Holmes
                            Ratt & Roll

Comment

You guys wanna post some more pics?
                              Ratt & Roll

Comment

Working...
                              X