Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the DiMarzio Breed compare to a JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the DiMarzio Breed compare to a JB?

I've been kicking around a few different pickup replacement ideas for a basswood Concept Dinky (JDX hardtail model) due to my dissatisfaction with the Duncan JB currently in it. The descriptions I've read about the DiMarzio Breed seem to be what I'm looking for, but some reviews point out similarities to the JB, and others say it's not a good pickup for death metal riffing styles. However, some say that it's actually very good for metal, especially for leads, and that it is tighter on the low end AND less harsh on the highs than a JB.

Those are my main issues with the JB - muddy lows and harsh treble - and as much as I love the Duncan Invaders that I'm recording with right now, I'm working on new material that demands a bit more clarity than I can get out of Invaders. The Full Shred can get me some of that, but gets a little thin, and Duncans in general seem to share something of a common voicing that I'm starting to tire of. Would a Breed be a step in the right direction?
    sigpic

I've never used the Breed, but have you tried a Duncan Distortion? It has clear lows and lots of bite.
    Scott

Comment

My brother has a Duncan Distortion in his Charvel 550XL, I just don't care for it at all. That seems weird to me to be quite honest, since I like the Invader, but after playing his guitar through my various amps, I just can't get excited about the DD at all. I've been using Duncans in my Jacksons for years with no specific issues, but twice I bought (used) DiMarzios - a Steve's Special and PAF Pro - that squealed like stuck pigs. I'm only using a JB in this particular guitar because that's what the shop had that would at least get me in the ballpark for my playing style.

I've also considered trying a D-Activator or D-Sonic, but the Breed seems to get good reviews that suggest it'd do what I want.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X