Coil tapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil tapping

Hey I have an Ibanez with dimarzio/ibz pickups HSH. It has a 5 way selector switch but I would like to coil tap the two HBuckers with one knob so that when I have the switch to bridge or neck, i can get just the single coil from the one selected (bridge or neck). If anyone has a diagram (dummy friendly) that would be most helpful. Thanks guys you freaking rock.

After re-reading your post, I'll have to ask a few questions.

Which pickups are dimarzio and which are ibanez?

I'll work on a diagram in a bit.

Actually, I'm not quite sure what you want. I could suggest something like this:
    1.Bridge hum 2.Bridge single 3.Bridge plus neck (hum) 4.Neck single 5. Neck hum
    ~OR~
    1.Bridge single 2.Bridge full 3.Neck + Bridge full 4.Neck full 5. Neck single

A push/pull enables the single in the middle position.

Apart from that, you'll have to include some more info on the precise description of the config, mate!
    Last edited by Dred; 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

All you need to do is ground the middle pickup wires to put a humbucker into single coil mode (assuming it's a 4 wire humbucker).

With SD pickups you ground the white and red wires. Green goes to ground, black is hot.

Comment

The pickups are Dimarzio designed for the guitar i have. It is an RG2550z Prestige..I want to se the tap on both hbuckers. so when i have the 5way on the neck (full bucker), i can pull the tap for neck singlecoil. and same for the bridge. I want to do this while keeping the original wiring on the 5way the same. So recap...

One push pull pot that will split Bridge PU...and Neck PU I do not wish to run them at the same time so nothing fancy.
        Thank again fellas

Comment

All you will have to do is replace the volume pot with a push/pull pot and wire it like it was then take the wires that should be taped back and solder them to the proper prongs that are on the pot (there should be six). Most of the time the pots will come with some instructions to do so.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

Ibanez uses a super switch that taps the inner and outer coils of the humbuckers when in the 2, 3 and 4 positions of the switch. So you already get a tapped single coil sound out of the 2 hums. What you hsould do is wire the hums to a 5 way super switch leaving the single coil off. The wire the single coil to a push pull pot. and you've got it. Not sure if you can use the single as you said above with everything wired stock. It may ground out other things.
            Gil

Comment

Working...
            X