Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Import Model 4 locknut

after years of abuse, it's cried 'enough'
    so I need a new locknut, and have no clue what it is that I need.
    I think it's the Kahler type, with the clamps that pull the strings 'up' rather than the floyd type that pulls the strings 'down'.
    I have a spare Floyd locknut in decent condition lying around, but whilst it's the same width, it's deeper, would need extra holes in the heastock/neck area, and I'm not sure I'm feeling that brave!

help ?

any and all comments and suggestions welcomed.
    Last edited by Tim_B; 04-14-2009, 09:45 AM.

Well, I happen to have a JT-6 locking nut (much like the Kahler, except it has slots for a screwdriver or coin, instead of an allen wrench) that I'd sell ya, cheap, if you want it. It came on my used 86 Model 4, when I got it, but I'm anal retentive and insisted on having the Kahler nut. PM me if you are interested.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

www.wammiworld.com has new ones - i think they go for $40 or so.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
        Well, I happen to have a JT-6 locking nut (much like the Kahler, except it has slots for a screwdriver or coin, instead of an allen wrench) that I'd sell ya, cheap, if you want it. It came on my used 86 Model 4, when I got it, but I'm anal retentive and insisted on having the Kahler nut. PM me if you are interested.

thanks, pm sent

Comment

You might just need to replace the plates.... check to see if they are grooved. Actually they may not even need to be replaced since if they are grooved you can always flip 'em over and they may be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            You might just need to replace the plates.... check to see if they are grooved. Actually they may not even need to be replaced since if they are grooved you can always flip 'em over and they may be good to go.
            I've found that the lock housing wears before the plates, but YMMV.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Quick fix for these locknuts - take it off, spin it 180 degrees and screw it back on. It'll work until you get a proper replacement.

This works because the string clamping action eventually puts grooves in the unit, but these are biased towards one side of the string guide area due to string to tuner post angle. Spinning the locknut causes the strings to be clamped on a whole new unworn surface!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
                Quick fix for these locknuts - take it off, spin it 180 degrees and screw it back on. It'll work until you get a proper replacement.

This works because the string clamping action eventually puts grooves in the unit, but these are biased towards one side of the string guide area due to string to tuner post angle. Spinning the locknut causes the strings to be clamped on a whole new unworn surface!

good tip, thanks
                I'd already turned the clamp plates round inside the frame, same effect, and it's still lousy!
                useful for anyone who's not tried it yet though ..

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I recently picked up my first Jackson, a 1987-89 usa custom shop with the past the nut slotted screw string clamp. I could not get it to stay in tune until I flipped the bottom piece of the clamp. This puts a fresh surface with no grooves for the strings to slip.

Comment

Working...
                  X