Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Passive is Equivalent to a Blackout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Passive is Equivalent to a Blackout?

I have a Blackout in my main guitar and I need to get something that matches that pickup as far as aggressive tone. I've played active pickups for about 6 years but back in the day I used to play Duncan Full Shreds.

I'm looking for a passive pickup for the backup guitar. Any suggestions? I was considering the Bill Lawrence XL500 or the Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker (PATB-2). But then there's the SH-6 Duncan Distortion and the SH-8 Invader! And I don't even know anything about DiMarzio either. I've really only ever played EMG and Duncan.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here is a link if you want to check out the type of music I will be rocking, thanks. www.myspace.com/harpoonrockin4u

I like the detonators they sound pretty good.

Comment

I have an RR-1 with blackouts and a RR1 with JB and a hamer studio with a SD SH-6 distortion. To my ears the SH-6 was closer to the BLackout. When i use the Jb RR1 I need to adjust the presence and resonance on my JVM to get similar tone. The SH-6 is a tad darker but I don't touch the amp eq when playing it. I had EMG in the RR1 with Blackouts and much prefer the Blackouts.

MR Hiwatt
      Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
      RR1 Black
      RR1 Blue ghost flames
      Stealth EX
      Hamer Studio
      Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

I think the Distortion has replaced the JB as my favorite Duncan pickup. It just has that extra bite that makes it great for metal rhythm.
        Scott

Comment

It's cool to hear you guys talking up the distortion.

I'm leaning towards either that or the Invader.

Thanks for your input.

I believe it was the MetalChurch dude who was all about the "real" Bill and Becky Lawrence pickup. If you read this I'd like to hear what you have to say!

Comment

I have the first version of the Blackout in my King V Standard. It's the Metal Live Wire (18v,100k pot)
            Seymour then went to the AHB-1, AHB-2, and Classic. These all feature 25k pots and 18v (the Classic uses 9v)

I keep that guitar tuned 1 step down and it sounds really good for old school metal and Death Metal like Six Feet Under, Obituary, etc...

If I were to go with a passive equivalent, I'd be tempted to go with an X2N, or an Evolution for DiMarzio, and for Seymour Duncan I'd probably go with a TB-11 Custom with an A8 magnet, or possibly an Invader with a different magnet.

Actually if you arent in a hurry and you have about $150 or so (cant remember how much) you can contact Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop and tell them what you like and dislike about the Blackout and what type of music you play, equipment, etc... and they will make you a pickup to your exact specifications.

Most importantly, try to test out as many pickups as you can before making a final decision. I went thru a phase and bought every pickup that I was curious about and narrowed it down from there. I still have my favs, but I have to admit that some pups didnt leave enough of an impression on me at the time to really remember them...
            My taste in tone goes back and forth, but I've been into Actives for about 6 years now, but I keep a few passives around just for certain songs and different tones when recording.

Thats really the only way to go and be happy.

...or you can go EMG -'81 or '85
            ...or Bill and Becky Lawrence L500XL...
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

DiMarzio X2N or Duncan PATB-2.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

X2n

Comment

Wow the X2N seems awesome and cheap.

Metalchurch, how would you compare the 9v blackout (what I have) to the 18v version. Is there a big difference? I've read what it says on the Duncan site but I'm sure an actual person's opinion who has tried many pickups would be more legit.

Thank you again for your input.

Comment

Well it's kind of the same as doing an 18v mod for an EMG pup, which (IMO) the added 9v adds definition and clarity and becomes less compressed than it's stock counterpart.

It's really hard to describe, but if you are familiar with what 18v does to an EMG, then you'll have a good idea.

I know that EMG's built in preamp is capable of handling upward of 27v, although I do not recommend it because there are variances in the design, so you might be the unlucky one who has the preamp that 'burns up' at 24v or so...

I'm not so sure that a Seymour Duncan Blackout is capable of 27v, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Which version of the Blackout do you have again?

I also highly suggest that you register on the Seymour Duncan forum, especially regarding specifics like this. I'm by no means a pro, and I'd feel bad if you did the 18v mod and messed up your pickups or something. (Assuming it's the Live Wire Classic)

There's a few guys on there who know their stuff, so dont hesitate to ask or do a forum search because I'm sure it's a popular subject.
                    (I have the same screen name there as well.)
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I have the AHB-1. Maybe I should get gnarly with the AHB-2 for the main guitar when I get some money.

I will check out the Duncan forum. I think at this point the x2n is where my mind is at since I'm on kind of a budget.

Thanks!

Comment

I'd steer clear of the Invaders. And the Detonators, I'm not sure if that was a joke.

Since you're on a budget, you could try the Bill Lawrence USA 500XL. I normally stick to Duncans but I tried one of these and I totally love it. I actually prefer it to my Blackouts. And it was half the price!
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yes that was a joke! LMAO I personally will be getting black outs soon if anyone has any new for sale cheap! Hint Hint

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                            I'd steer clear of the Invaders.
                            I had a pair of Invaders in my old Kelly XLR... they rocked! James Hetfield also seemed to think so on the Master of Puppets album.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I got the x2n and put it in the guitar. It's a Model 6 and it actually sounds pretty similar to the Jackson J-90 pickup I took out. All mushy and fuzzy and bad.

I'm starting to think this isn't the pickup but some problem with the active mid boost. I think I'm going to just disconnect the whole thing and wire this thing to be a one hum guitar. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a Blackout in my Soloist which sounds really nice, but I just can't get this Model 6 to sound good.

Comment

Working...
                              X