Ok, I am building a lapsteel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I am building a lapsteel...

...out of a hunk of mahogany I have had kicking around for a while. My question is regarding scale length.... Most of the research indicates that they usually have scales around 22.5-23.5 (or so) inches... If I used a longer scale, would I get better sustain from the strings? If I use the short scale, will regular guitar strings work?
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

I've no idea about anything in regards to lapsteel, but guitar strings will have enough length in them to work on a 28 or so instrument at least. Measure a typical guitar string just to be sure, dude

No idea on sustain vs. scale issue, though.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Being that most lapsteels have aluminum bridges and nuts, I don't think you're going to have a sustain problem. Plus, you're not fretting the strings, just using the slide/bar, so there's a lot less friction to deaden the note.

Scale length won't affect sustain, but a longer scale will give you deeper and/or higher note range, similar to adding a low B or high A to a 7-string.

If you're just doing a 6-string tuned like an acoustic (open D, G, C, etc) with no levers, I'd try regular electric strings. If you're doing 8 or 10, you'll definitely want the steel guitar sets.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
      X