Check out this crazy wiring idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out this crazy wiring idea!

EDIT: The POINT of this is that you can keep the 4-way switch in the down position and then just use the 3-way to choose between:

-full "quad-rail" bridge
    -full "quad-rail" bridge + neck
    -neck

You'd hardly ever use the 4-way. It ends up being a series/split/parallel switch.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys. I just came up with a cool pickup and switching configuration for a Jackson Warrior Pro (or strat).

The middle and bridge pickups are "seen" by the 3-way switch as one humbucker. You'd normally just use the 3-way to select: bridge, bridge+neck, neck (like a les paul).

The 4-way switch just does series/split/parallel to the bridge humbucker (which is really the middle and bridge pickups.) Since these are rail pickups, they are hum cancling on their own when split into separate pickups.

The 4-way switch gives you these combinations:
    -Bridge + Middle in series with each other (sounds like a hot humbucker in this case)
    -Middle
    -Bridge + Middle in parallel with each other (thinner tone, like a humbucker in parallel)
    -Bridge

This picture shows all 9 configurations (all hum canceling). The pink lines mean the pickup is selected. Green means pickups are in parallel.

The idea came from the DiMarzio Multibucker (discontinued) mixed with a tele w/ 4 way switching.

I know that you could rig up on/off switches, series/split/parallel switches and phase switches for tons of tones…but the point of this idea is EASE.
    Last edited by Deadlock; 04-11-2009, 10:06 PM.

Yeah, I used to think about lots and lots of switching options. I grew out of it and am content with 1 or 2 pickups per guitar - less fuss, no muss.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Once you get it wired, the switching is just done with the 3-way switch. It's actually very easy... just hard to explain.

the 4-way is just for series/split-A/parallel/split-B
      Last edited by Deadlock; 04-11-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Our Newc-ie had one of those types of ideas... Can't remember what the hell it was... COuldn't be bothered to read through +-5 pages worth of wiring extravaganza
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

ohhh, no one likes it.

Comment

I like it, but I'm confused as to where you got a 4-way blade? I've got a 3-way with 3 separate connections and the Special 5-way. Never seen a 4-way.

Sadly, I couldn't get mine working like I wanted - too many Common connections meant massive bleed-through.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I like it, but I'm confused as to where you got a 4-way blade?
              Actually, I had never heard of a 4-way either until I started looking around at seymourduncan.com yesterday. This warrior wiring is based on this tele schematic:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=tele_2h_4ws

Comment

Working...
              X