Need a new pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new pickup

So I've decided to get a new pup for my 750XL. I need something bright that will not shriek, I can't stand pups that are overly trebly.

In short, need something that is metal suitable, bright, that will have some output and a lot of response, but will not sound too harsh. Some good bass would also be nice, to even out the sound. Preferably suitable in neck position.

I was considering something off the Bill and Becky L500 line, a Dimarzio pickup from hell, X2N, Evo or a TB-4.

As I imagine, the 500XLs are more suited for the bridge position, as is the X2M and Evo. The Hum from Hell is described as a single coil sounding bucker, so I'm guessing it will be brittle and not chug very well. Any suggestions or further info on the ones mentioned above, lads? It basically has to be somethin chuggable, with a good top end that won't sound shrill and thin, basically good mids and a good top end. I knwo you guys have something up your sleeves.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

The Charvel 750 sounds great with EMG's. I have an '81 in the bridge with an older 58 at the neck. I'd say the EMG-85 might be what you're looking for. It's high output, but uses alnico magnets and is slightly warmer than the '81. I'd also suggest Carvin's M22 SD, a great passive pickup and relatively inexpensive compared to the ones you mentioned.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I have the Distortion Mayhem set in mine. It's a lot more powerful and forceful than the JB in my Soloist.

I have a Super 5 way switch that gives 5 different tones, plus I have a push pull switch to add a 6th tone.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        I have the Distortion Mayhem set in mine. It's a lot more powerful and forceful than the JB in my Soloist.

I have a Super 5 way switch that gives 5 different tones, plus I have a push pull switch to add a 6th tone.
        Don't powerful pickups sound harsh and shrill sometimes? Just wondering.

Also, Charvel750, you turned me onto the 85, I must say. I definitely took that one into consideration. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Hum from Hell or the X2N, anyone? Would they have enough mids to smooth out the sound and sound meaty, yet have enough top end to be really responsive?
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post

Also, Charvel750, you turned me onto the 85, I must say. I definitely took that one into consideration. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Hum from Hell or the X2N, anyone? Would they have enough mids to smooth out the sound and sound meaty, yet have enough top end to be really responsive?
          I wouldn't go for the hum from hell. The humbucker from hell is pretty low output. I have one. It's an okay neck pickup, but i wouldn't buy one again.

Comment

An X2N and a Super 2.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would go for the X2N
              2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
              2007 DK2m White Bengal
              88 Jackson limited edition
              Charvel Preditor
              PS-3T Rhoads Performer
              Jackson DX10D
              3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
              4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
              Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
              Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
                No, they don't.

Harsh and Shrill is a factor of the complete rig.

I have a Les Paul Classic Premium Plus with a 500T in it. Plugged into a Kalamazoo Model 12 amp (very clean EL84 pair) I get a great AC/DC tone because it takes all of the power of these pickups to just barely get that amp to break up.

They can be very dynamic in this case because if you strum lightly, you can get a nice clean tone. But dig in, and you get grindage.

In the case of the Mayhem set, they are more powerful than the 500T. Maybe too powerful to me. Great for Classic Metallica or harder stuff.

They 750XL, being a LP style of axe, might react good to a PAF set of pickups if you want to go that route as well.
                Last edited by DonP; 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X