Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind or type of router do I need to drill cavities on a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind or type of router do I need to drill cavities on a guitar?

Is there a special kind or type of router that I would need to drill cavities on a guitar. Say to add a battery cavity or to enlarge a pickup cavity to install wider pickups?
    Krank Addict

You'll need a plunge router.

Comment

But its best to dril out alot of the wood before routing, less stress on the bits, cleaner cut etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
        But its best to dril out alot of the wood before routing, less stress on the bits, cleaner cut etc.
        +1 - use a forstner bit - will leave a clean(er) bottom..
        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Home Depot or Lowes...Bosch sells a 2-in-1 router with plunge and D-handle for about $200.00. If you do any woodworking, you will use the router constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
            +1 - use a forstner bit - will leave a clean(er) bottom..
            yep. I bought a 1 1/4" forstner bit to hog out cavities. love it.

this is the router setup that i use, and it's very inexpensive. great price from sears, and it's serving me well.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Check StewMac for the templates you need (ie, battery compartment). They also have ball bearing router bits. 1/2" diameter bit for most of the work and the 3/8" diameter for cleaning up and for corners. Check out their site. There is a lot of free information down the left side of the Home page. www.stewmac.com
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
              X