Help filling cavity holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help filling cavity holes

I got an RR7R and I have already removed the paint... well most of it. I am planning to install EMG 707s on it but would hate to have to use a pickup ring so I was thinking of filling a portion of the pickup cavity to minimize the gap and make it look clean and natural. What can I use to do this? Do I still need to gue a piece of wood or can I get away with some fiber glass? There's not a whole lot to fill so I doubt it will affect anything.
    Krank Addict

Automotive body filler (Bondo) works great for these types of mods.
    -Rick

Comment

There are some new Charvel customs out with direct mounted hums that you can use for a visual reference.

Comment

Bondo shrinks...
        I'd use Marine Tex.

Comment

yep. Marine Tex effing RULES. i started using it on dino's suggestion. it's great, doesn't shrink, and it's invisible under paint. see?

before:

after:

Marine Tex FTW!!!!

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Which Marine Tex should I use exactly???

http://www.marinetex.com/MarineTexproducts.html
            Krank Addict

Comment

Off topic.

What the hell does FTW stand for?
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

FTW = For The Win
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                  What the hell does FTW stand for?
                  It's the Amtrack code for Fort Worth, Texas...the city famous for not building Model series Charvels.

Comment

Sully, a couple of questions relating back to Mark's method of doing Bondo fills:

1- Would Marine Tex eliminate the need for the thin layer of glazing compound on top? I'm guessing yes, but even though I know better than to speak for him, I can picture Mark saying he'd still glaze the whole top because of the different properties of wood & epoxy.

2- For a cavity fill, would you still bevel your the edges first to get a smoother angle to feather it in? I think I'd still do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by sonic gihad View Post
                      Which Marine Tex should I use exactly???

http://www.marinetex.com/MarineTexproducts.html
                      this one

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      Sully, a couple of questions relating back to Mark's method of doing Bondo fills:

1- Would Marine Tex eliminate the need for the thin layer of glazing compound on top? I'm guessing yes, but even though I know better than to speak for him, I can picture Mark saying he'd still glaze the whole top because of the different properties of wood & epoxy.
                      Yeah, I would say that it would eliminate the need for the glaze. I was really surprised at how invisible it was after sanding it flat. You seriously can't see it at all.

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      2- For a cavity fill, would you still bevel your the edges first to get a smoother angle to feather it in? I think I'd still do it that way.
                      Yeah, you could do that; it's a great practice regardless, so why deviate? On that LP, I filled an extra hole that was drilled; i plugged it just under flush, marine tex-ed it, and sanded it flat. I'll say that I haven't had results that were as good with using the polyester glaze. But that's me.

Sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Great work Sully!

Another advantage to using Marine Tex over Bondo is that you can drill it without compromising the structural integrity.
                        Works great for patch-work in areas involving hardware, whereas Bondo holes may have a tendency to strip or even crumble under stress.

Comment

Cool! Thanks guys. I'll retire the Bondo.

Comment

Working...
                          X