Non Recessed floyds & action..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Recessed floyds & action..

Hey guy.. it has been awhile since I've been here but guitars had to be put on the backbuner for awhile. Anyway I have a BC Rich gunslinger that GMW painted and assembled for me. Unlike most gunslingers, it is non-recessed. Over time the action keeps getting higher and higher one the 1st three strings. The bridge is as low as it can go (limitations being non recessed) and I think I have adjusted the truss rod perfectly. (at least using the standard measurement of rules and holding the strings down at different frets).

I've concluded I need to bring it to professional luthier but I want to make sure I'm as educated as possible. Should I mention shimming the neck? Have any of you encountered the same situation with varied remedies? The neck is raw and about 20 years old, spendng most of its life in an umbrella rack so I'm hoping it is not warping beyond repair.

Thanks for any replies
    -Rich

Over how much time? Have you measured the relief (hold the string down at the 1st & 17th fret and sight the gap between bottom of string and top of 11th fret) on the 1st & 6th strings? Have you sighted down the neck to look for warping? Where is the action "getting higher" at the nut side of the neck of towards the body of the guitar?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

How aggressive are you with the whammy? Could be pulling the inserts out.

That's the only way I can think of for the action on one side to change over time aside from the neck warping.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The relief measurements seem... I think the neck/truss is correct. with close inspection is seems like all 6 strings are higher from the 12th fret and up. When Lee shipped me the guitar it had super low action with no buzzing (really great setup). Now it is over a 1/4 on an inch on the high E. I'll try to get it by a local luthier tomorrow and report back.

Comment

That sucks if it's warping. Probably a very nice guitar.

Comment

So this would be a newb affliction, but if your trem is rising up in the back and no longer level you would have this problem.

Comment

Did you maybe switch string gauges since the initial setup?

Comment

without the guitar in hand (so this is a logical guess based on typical issues) and knowing that the weather just recently switched here in NY from very dry to more humid my guess is the neck just has a large bow in it and needs the truss rod adjusted which will lower the action back down.

-Mike
                www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                X