Stringing Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringing Floyd

I've mostly had mid level axes until I got my SL-1 Burnt Cherry (I still can't put it down, it kicks major ass) Anyways, I usually string my Floyd equipped axes with the ball end at the tuners instead of the correct method, it looks like shit when I do it the correct way, I suck at it. I hate to do that 1/2 ass trick to my prized SL-1, do any of you do that? Just wondering.
    Let go, let Guitar

Here's what I do - I thread the string through the tuner, down through the nut and then lock the end of the string at the saddle, Then I wrap the string once around above the string through the tuner whole, then start turning the tuning key guiding the string to wrap underneath.

Once that's done, I snip off the excess so I don't leave the ball on the string.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I do what very few people do.

1. Take off all old strings. Don't touch fine tuners
      2. Cut the ball off of the new string and stick that end in the saddle clamp.
      3. String as normal
      4. Repeat for remaining strings
      5. Tune guitar
      6. Stretch strings
      7. Lock nut
      8. Adjust fine tuners

Usually I don't stretch the strings enough and my bridge is angled up for a day or so until the strings stretch themselves out. The key is not touching the fine tuners.
      Scott

Comment

The key is you don't have to stretch the strings on a floyd. "Stretching" is really only tightening the wraps on the tuning posts and applying tension to the ball wraps. With a double locking trem, you don't need to do this at all. Look at the Floyd Speedloader for instance.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I do it the way Grandturk said - balls at the posts and cut off excess. They're gonna be cut off anyway, so neither way is "wrong".

The "wrong" way would be slamming the balls against the posts and chewing up the posts with the reinforced part. Jeez, that's simply retardated

However, unless I'm using Sperzels, I do stretch before locking as I have enough wraps (that do not overlap, but rather are coiled) to warrant that.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Jackson instruction manual (if you can call it that) I got with my KV2 last year laid out a procedure for stringing the Floyd, which included stretching.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I do it the way Grandturk said - balls at the posts and cut off excess. They're gonna be cut off anyway, so neither way is "wrong".

The "wrong" way would be slamming the balls against the posts and chewing up the posts with the reinforced part. Jeez, that's simply retardated

However, unless I'm using Sperzels, I do stretch before locking as I have enough wraps (that do not overlap, but rather are coiled) to warrant that.
              I do it this way too...except for my high "e" I leave the ball on with it sticking about an inch or so sticking out. I don't know why..I just like it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

I guess I am retarded then... It doesn't chew up the posts though, at least not for me.
                Gibson SG Standard
                Jackson DK2M Dinky
                Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                Roland Micro Cube
                Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by Dinky93 View Post
                  I guess I am retarded then... It doesn't chew up the posts though, at least not for me.
                  Me either, thats what my friken question was all along when I started this thread, I guess I didnt word it correctly. I do not snip the ball ends off, I snip the other end at the saddle and the ball end is directly against the post with about 3 loops. I noticed E V Halen does that, or used to...I guess he is retarded also.
                  Let go, let Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by JacksoNeal View Post
                    Me either, thats what my friken question was all along when I started this thread, I guess I didnt word it correctly. I do not snip the ball ends off, I snip the other end at the saddle and the ball end is directly against the post with about 3 loops. I noticed E V Halen does that, or used to...I guess he is retarded also.
                    Yep, that is exactly what I do. My guitar teacher recommended doing that when I got my Jackson, being as it was my first Floyded guitar. I didn't know any other way than cutting the ball end off and this way seemed easier.
                    Gibson SG Standard
                    Jackson DK2M Dinky
                    Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                    Roland Micro Cube
                    Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by Dinky93 View Post
                      This is how I do it, too, for about 20 years now. Never had a problem with the tuner getting "chewed up."

Ball against the post, clipped at the tremolo end, I get maybe 1.5 winds at the most at the post end and I'm good.

Comment

Working...
                      X