Boss GT-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-10

I don't gig like most of you guys, I just jam at home. I don't have many pedals and was thinking of getting a Boss GT-10 processor, played with one at the local shop. Are those multi effect boards junk or can they crank out good tones. It sure as fk seems complicated.
    Let go, let Guitar

Boss makes good equipment, I think it has some good tones which you can also tweak to your liking. The pedal as made of metal and not hard plastic like some cheaper pedals.

Comment

The multi-effects processors are great for bedroom use. In my experience, when you crank them up, the tone goes to crap, and you have to create patches that have less gain and more mids to sound good. As for the GT-10 being complicated, you might check out the Vox Tonelab. I have one of the combos (basically a Tonelab with an amp and speaker), and it's really easy to tweak, because it just has a few knobs controlling everything. It also has a tube in it, so it sounds and responds more like a tube amp.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksoNeal View Post
        I don't gig like most of you guys

Comment

Originally posted by mccullpl View Post
          The multi-effects processors are great for bedroom use. In my experience, when you crank them up, the tone goes to crap, and you have to create patches that have less gain and more mids to sound good.
          My experience with the GT10 (and a GT8 and GT6 before it) is just the opposite. When it is cranked up to band volumes, the tones sound even better. The patches come alive more with better dynamics, richer with more nuances, and more "filled out" tone, if you will. I'm sure this is going to vary, depending on the amp you use, etc. But, in general, the GT10 sounds a whole lot better live than in the bedroom.

Comment

I use a GT-8 and played out with it last Friday(First time playing out since 1991!). I have toyed with it with "Bedroom" and "Stage" volumes. I can't speak for the GT-10..but the GT-8 sounds pretty darn good.

I did a copy of 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn" using my own program for clean and o/d. My '82 Charvel was used along with my trusty JC-77 amp.. Forgive my "Sharp" notes! It was too loud on clean, but not loud enough on o/d. Again, the first time doing that in a while!

I thought of going to a GT-10..but I am pleased as punch with the 8 now. Here's the video[Sorry it's dark as hell also !]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfmcIo-eChw

Comment

If you are using the GT-10 in the loop or for FX only, it shouldn't matter if you play at bedroom or live volumes, as your amp is controlling the overall volume. If you use the modelling or distortion, once you get your levels, you should be close and just need to tweak slightly for live if you programmed at bedroom levels. I never really experienced this when I used either my XT Live or GT-8.

Comment

Its a great choice. So is the GT-8. They sound great at home, in the recording studio and live. The nice thing about the GT's is the factory patches are good enough to use without fiddling around with them.

Comment

Well I actually picked one up over this past weekend. Thanks for the replies. It really does have some superb factory patches, it has the easy tone feature where you can kind of create a quick patch on the fly, but the factory patches sound pretty friken cool. I was jamming some old KISS songs with my drummer neighbor Sunday and there was a patch that with a little tweaking sounded exactly like the old Ace/Paul tone.
                  Let go, let Guitar

Comment

I own a GT-10 too. More intuitive than the 8, thanks to the screen. But I do find it sounds 'dryer' than the 8, thus I have to boost effects, drop the gain to 10 on the preamp and alter all the EQ's (patch, master and global) to get the same patch I took from the 8 to sound anything like the original. I'm not happy with the filter on the headphone output. I made a really good patch using the headphones, but then it sounded wrong when putting the line outs into my mixer.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                    X