Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Charvel Production "FRT-2000" Tremolo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Charvel Production "FRT-2000" Tremolo...

Hey guys I need a little help here as I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the Floyd Rose that came with my Tangerine SoCal. The large screws that lock the strings with the block are always crooked after tightening them and look out of place. -Does that or has it create(d) problems or just look bad? -And second, today I was setting the intonation when the little screw that holds the saddle in place stripped. This was probably operator error, but come on, this is still new and already stripped?!

...So, does anyone know where I can get a new intonation screw? -At this point I am considering replacing the bridge with an OFR.
    Ratt & Roll

You mean the screws that hold the blocks at the lock nut, or at the saddle that hold the string lock blocks? Not sure what you mean by crooked... hmm..

As for stripping the screws, yeah, to me, these things are always a problem - make sure you're using the right size allen wrench - these are metric, not US sizes. Also, make sure the allen key is seated in the screw before you tighten it. It might seem like its in, but you need to make sure it's really in.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, thank you for reply. Yes, it is really in and I mean the little one that requires the small hex that sets the intonation is stripped. The one that releases the string and required the large hex are crooked
      Ratt & Roll

Comment

Mine are all crooked as well. I got some that are really short under the fine tunerz and somz taht is way long. Also, meh saddlez is all crooked and crazy-like.

Seriously, you'd have to show me this "crooked" business, in light of all the bashing that's been going on with these.

German-made OFR or Korean Lo-Trs, those intonation set screws are cheap. Always have been. You cannot maintain stability at that diameter for that price using those materials.

Which part did you strip, the threaded portion or the head where the wrench goes in? The threads shouldn't strip, at least not before the head does.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Mine are all crooked as well. I got some that are really short under the fine tunerz and somz taht is way long. Also, meh saddlez is all crooked and crazy-like.

Seriously, you'd have to show me this "crooked" business, in light of all the bashing that's been going on with these.

German-made OFR or Korean Lo-Trs, those intonation set screws are cheap. Always have been. You cannot maintain stability at that diameter for that price using those materials.

Which part did you strip, the threaded portion or the head where the wrench goes in? The threads shouldn't strip, at least not before the head does.
          The head or screw itself, not the base plate of the Floyd.
          Ratt & Roll

Comment

Those little screws are easy to strip. I've stripped 'em all - Schaller-made OFR, Takeuchi-made JT590, JT580LP, etc. I wasn't applying that much force, either, it's just they're too small for the hex design and remain stable. They should have gone with a Phillips or Slotted, though those are also easy to strip if the material sucks.

I think StewMac sells the intonation set screws.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

They do, Thanks man I checked them out. I think they are like .25 cents. But would it pay off to swap it for an OFR in the long run?
              Ratt & Roll

Comment

No one knows the life-span of the FRT yet. They're too new, and with everyone crying foul over the origin, it'll be a while before we know for sure.

The intonation set screws are pretty much identical in design and material quality no matter who you go with. As I said, the heads are too small to remain stable with a hex design. As well, the hole is sloped instead of straight, which means the head of the wrench is also sitting in a bowl, which means you don't get a good grip, and eventually you'll rip it.

Comment

Yeah true, thanks for the help Newc.
                  Ratt & Roll

Comment

Hey do the long OFR screws that push block locking the strings fit on the FRT?
                    Ratt & Roll

Comment

I don't see why they wouldn't fit.

Comment

I use my ball-end hex wrenches as opposed to my straight-cut hex wrenches. Saw the problem that might arise because of the angle of the screw. I've yet to strip one using the ball-end hex wrench!
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                        X