Stuck screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck screws

Quick background. Picked up a used OFR. Everything looks good except the saddle screws are all frozen solid except for one. 8 hours of Liquid Wrench and all I have are Allen screws more stripped than when I got it. Is there anything I can do without really ruining it?
    My gear
    87 Charvel Model 6
    86 Charvel Model 4
    93 Jackson RR EX
    93 Jackson Kelly STD
    88 Ibanez RG560
    99 Schecter Diamond C-7
    Peavey Bandit 112

No hope for the screws, but see if you can remove the string-lock bolts (in the back) and the string block from the saddle, then see if you can wiggle the saddles free.

If not, you'll need a very small drill bit, a screw extractor, and a drill.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd also give the penetrating oil more time if you can.

PB Blaster is my fave for that stuff. Seems better than Liquid wrench to me. It has done well for us in the automotive industry.

Unfortunately, there are sme dissimilar metals in the bridgesreally and some parts can get quite a corrosive bond going on.

You're talking about the screws that hold the saddles to the bridge? That's gonna suck. You may end up drilling JUST the heads off, removing saddles, and try to get a good quality needle nose mini vise grip on the small amount of screw thread left and slowly and just slightly moving back and forth to break it loose. AFTER much soaking in PB Blaster. Otherwsie like said, you may end of drilling them and trying to EZ-Out them, which is a bummer at such a small screw.

Comment

+1 on the PB Blaster

has worked miracles for my old motorcycle!

Comment

Damn I hope you didn't pay too much for that OFR...

Comment

Maybe a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut slots in the allen heads and use a screwdriver.
            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

THAT's definitely worth a try before drilling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                Maybe a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut slots in the allen heads and use a screwdriver.
                Give the man a cigar. Just needed a steady hand to make sure the cutting wheel didn't start taking the paint off of the other parts. Still not a bad deal for a German OFR. 65 bucks shipped, and a new arm and replacement screws will cost me all of 18 bucks from StewMac.
                My gear
                87 Charvel Model 6
                86 Charvel Model 4
                93 Jackson RR EX
                93 Jackson Kelly STD
                88 Ibanez RG560
                99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

You got them out? I'm impressed that a set screw stripped and a flat head slot didn't. Thought it was a good thing to try, didn't feel too positive it would do it tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    I'd also give the penetrating oil more time if you can.

PB Blaster is my fave for that stuff. Seems better than Liquid wrench to me. It has done well for us in the automotive industry.
                    Yes, I agree. PB Blaster seems to work better than Liquid Wrench for me too. Another one that works better is Kroil.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                    X