• Show
Clear All

• Where can I get waterslide decals?

I'm customizing a headstock.

Thanks.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

eBay... and most of them suck.

If you're not set on water slides, Best-Decals has great vinyl decals that are super thin.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      eBay... and most of them suck.

If you're not set on water slides, Best-Decals has great vinyl decals that are super thin.
      Thanks. I've never done this before. So I can't just go out to a craft store and buy them, I guess?

Comment

There are water slide kits (special paper) for ink jet printers, but the quality and durability suck terribly and can't make anything with white in it as a color.
        This is pretty much all you'll find on eBay.

True water slides are hard to find and would require a significant order be placed if you wanted a professional printer to make them for you.
        Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          There are water slide kits (special paper) for ink jet printers, but the quality and durability suck terribly and can't make anything with white in it as a color.
          This is pretty much all you'll find on eBay.

True water slides are hard to find and would require a significant order be placed if you wanted a professional printer to make them for you.
          A local hobby shop sells the Testor's brand, so I'll try those and see what I can do. The decal I'm doing is only in black.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            A local hobby shop sells the Testor's brand, so I'll try those and see what I can do. The decal I'm doing is only in black.
            I've used the Testors kit and had success. JCF member Krimson makes great waterslides. Even gold or silver metallics.

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I ordered one from this guy http://decaldudemy.co.nr/ for a refinish I was having done.

Took about 2 weeks to get to the USA but it was the best looking water-slide decal I could find. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                I ordered one from this guy http://decaldudemy.co.nr/ for a refinish I was having done.

Took about 2 weeks to get to the USA but it was the best looking water-slide decal I could find. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
                That's a pro quality water slide.
                Nicely done too.
                -Rick

Comment

Well, crap. I got some Testors waterslide sheets today and they printed beautifully. But the instructions say to apply their "Decal Bonder." I only bought the waterslide sheets, not the whole kit. Sure enough, after three hours drying time, the ink just disintegrates in water. So, I guess I'll have to drive back across town tomorrow and get that.

That is, unless any of you know a workable substitute.

EDIT: Never mind. I sprayed it with the same clear acrylic coating I used on the headstock. Worked beautifully! Once it dries for 12 hours, per the instructions, I'll put another coat of clear acrylic over the top and be all set!

Last edited by PowerTube; 04-04-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I bought some rub-on transfer paper from BelDecal a few years ago. They have both Clear and White (so you can get white areas) and they do pretty good IMO. I tried the Testors before that, and yeah, the ink dissolves in water.

Rub-ons work best as the paper contains a coating that lays down over the decal to seal the ink.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X