GOTOH studs vs. OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOTOH studs vs. OFR

Trying to re-assemble a Pacer Carrera that got parted out. Body is drilled for OFR studs. Would GOTOH studs fit correctly in the OFR stud holes, and if not, would a GOTOH floyd work well with OFR studs?

Barring that I'm going to go see if someone has an OFR in black in the classifieds.

Thanks

To use the Gotoh studs with the bushings, the Floyd post holes would need to be drilled out slightly for the bushings. I would imagine the original Floyd posts should work with the Gotoh, but without trying it, can't say for certain. I would almost think the originals would be better, due to the bigger head.
    The only thing I hate about the Gotoh's, they fall off really easy when changing strings unless you do it one string at a time... So the bigger head on the Floyd post may help with that
    Don

Comment

Watching this thread as I'm interested in swapping over to a Gotoh on my USA fusion with a whupped floyd. Suhr says the quality is MUCH higher on the Gotohs now than any Floys currently available.

Hadn't even thought about them being different studwise.

Comment

From first hand experience. The bushings for the Gotoh are much larger than the Floyd. The pitch of the threads is much more coarse. Be sure that when you are using the Gotoh that you drill out the hole large enough to insert it with out expanding the wood. .5 in if I remember correctly. There will not be much room between the post hole and the trem block cavaty. They have a tendency to crack in that area when too much stress is put on them in that area.
        I can also tell you that the Gotoh did not settle in nearly as fast as the Floyd does. Took a while before the tuning stabilized. The big brass blocks also do not work on the Gotohs. At least the ones that Adam sells. He does say that he will be doing the blocks for them. I would also add, that you can not use a D-tuna properly due to the angle of the fine tuner base plate where the tuners screw in. At least not with out machining clearance out for it.

I can not see how anyone can say that the quality is MUCH higher if any. I wouldnt. But then I'm not producing several hundreds of guitars making the savings on the purchase of mass volumes of bridges. What would a person really expect Suhr to say?

Don't get me wrong, great bridge, but in comparison to the Floyd, I couldn't say that it has been an improvement. I do like the saddle shapes though, a little more ergonomic.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Don't know how different the studs would be on a newer guitar that already have the bushings. On the Kramer that Vass has, they would be the old wood screw type Floyd posts... Known for developing a lean forward over time. I've had to replace the old wood screw studs with busings on one of my old Kramers...I think that was the the big reason to go to the Stud and bushing of the modern Floyds and copies.
          The Gotoh is a great trem. I only have one, but it's been as good as any of my Floyds. The only drawback is they like to jump off the post's when no strings are on the guitar, especially the low E side. More than likely due to the Gotoh not having a cutout for the post, just a straight knife edge, and the smaller head on the stud...

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
            I can not see how anyone can say that the quality is MUCH higher if any. I wouldnt. But then I'm not producing several hundreds of guitars making the savings on the purchase of mass volumes of bridges. What would a person really expect Suhr to say?
            Dunno, not sure of the price diff in masse.

I just know what he said was that the quality of current Floyds, was causing them to take several hours polishing ramps using magnifier glasses and extra stuff getting them set them up appropriately. And the Gotohs weren't taking that long. Other than that, dunno...

I figured Suhr were pretty high end guitars, so I paid attention to the statement. I'm sure he has "some" reasoning, and I'm sure all monetary in some way, haha...

Comment

No doubt that he is building some high end stuff. Im sure he wouldn't be putting them on if they sucked. HEHEHE. I'm going to use more in the future, but the limitations as I mentioned will be an issue for some users and they need to be aware of the of the differences. Thats it really. Not trying to bash it in anyway.

Comment

I didn't think you were bashing at all. You were just stating a fact.

Yeah, finding parts in the field for a gotoh will be NOT happening, haha... Hard enough to get a floyd piece here in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                  From first hand experience. The bushings for the Gotoh are much larger than the Floyd. The pitch of the threads is much more coarse. Be sure that when you are using the Gotoh that you drill out the hole large enough to insert it with out expanding the wood. .5 in if I remember correctly. There will not be much room between the post hole and the trem block cavaty. They have a tendency to crack in that area when too much stress is put on them in that area.
                  I can also tell you that the Gotoh did not settle in nearly as fast as the Floyd does. Took a while before the tuning stabilized. The big brass blocks also do not work on the Gotohs. At least the ones that Adam sells. He does say that he will be doing the blocks for them. I would also add, that you can not use a D-tuna properly due to the angle of the fine tuner base plate where the tuners screw in. At least not with out machining clearance out for it.

Don't get me wrong, great bridge, but in comparison to the Floyd, I couldn't say that it has been an improvement. I do like the saddle shapes though, a little more ergonomic.

The one main thing that entices me about the gotohs is the bar insert,
                  i think the new floyd style screw in cap sucks, well i don't think it sucks - it Does suck,... Utter Fail.
                  I much prefer the old style screw in arm,
                  Completely solid, and the bars were a bit more straight from my memory, i like that much better too, it's even easier to screw in!
                  That damn cap is like a pain in the ass to put on to me.
                  I cannot get used to these, i kinda hate them really.

Been kinda looking around for something to replace the newer type assembly for the older style, and a screw in arm that's less bent.
                  Also the floyds have always had somewhat of a crappy break off point on the saddles, which suhr also stated and i have always thought myself.
                  So i set my bridge not level, but a slight slight tilt back to help keep a good preasure at the saddle.

I have been kinda leaning towards saying forget it and just going with a hardtail anymore, just seems wierd to not have a floyd, cause i was wheened on them and have always had one, but i don't seem to miss it
                  anymore, except for the fine tuners.
                  I don't even use the tremelo cause the feel sucks from what i was used to back in the day.
                  The floyd i had on my 80's fernandes was effortless, fluttered like a mofo, and was so solid... Also about the bars, i swear they were much more robust before as well, like thicker, or at least more dense metal and heavier.

From just looking around out of desperation, the Ibanez Edge Pro seems to be far superior and taken the concept to the next level, i'd like to check one out.

I was a bit suprised that on Eddies new Wolfgang he has the cap screw in arm, i mean after he said he went over every detail of what his knowledge of guitars and shit, he keeps that piece of crap arm assembly??

That was the first thing i noticed on that guitar, and was like, well, if you kept that on there, i can't trust the rest of your judgement, lol, i was kinda starting to like them too.
                  I don't know, i've never like any of his wolfgang guitars, not my style at all, but for some reason the new one has grown on me i think it look kinda sweet.
                  Last edited by Trem; 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I personally like the cap/collar thing. Till they wear out and wobble... I like how I can set it where the bar falls down out of the way and then can be grabbed and pulled upwards to use and then let go, and it falls back down. Prolly why eddie likes that as well.

I hear you on the solid feel of the older oner ones. hence my quest for the Steeler, OFRs or maybe gotoh...

Comment

Yes, from firsthand experience, I can say the Gotoh is as direct a replacement for an OFR, as it is for a JT590. Mike described the studs perfectly.

To answer your questions, the Gotoh studs won't fit the OFR stud holes, without widening them. However, the trem works perfectly with the OFR studs, and I know you weren't asking for advice, but I'd keep the OFR studs instead of using Gotoh studs- they're easier to find.
                      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
                        Yes, from firsthand experience, I can say the Gotoh is as direct a replacement for an OFR, as it is for a JT590. Mike described the studs perfectly.

To answer your questions, the Gotoh studs won't fit the OFR stud holes, without widening them. However, the trem works perfectly with the OFR studs, and I know you weren't asking for advice, but I'd keep the OFR studs instead of using Gotoh studs- they're easier to find.
                        +1

Comment

Guys thank you very much for your help on this. I think I'm going to try to grab an OFR off the classifieds, but barring that I'll go with the GOTOH and just find myself some OFR studs.

EDIT to ask: If I use the new, non-screw OFR studs, will that also necessitate drilling the body? And does anyone sell the "old school" studs?
                          Last edited by Vass; 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Not sure anyone can aswer this. I have a 91 USA fusion that came with a floyd II. I have put a Schaller floyd on, no issues.

Can assume that the Gotoh should fit in all ways using the OEM studs with no odd stuff going on as far the internal body routing and clearance etc? I know my steeler is totaly whack for clearances.

Can the Gotoh be drilled for a collar type arm?

Comment

I have had Schallers, Floyds, Kahlers, Gotohs, Ibanez Low Pro Edge or whatever it is called, some Hamers made by Schaller and some Jacksons made by Floyd.

I have noticed lesser quality in the Hamer and Jackson brands but the rest were all good trem systems. However, I did not like the Ibanez system at all. Some people do. I thought it was cheap - it was the one that was on my JEM. Yuck.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 hand build custom guitars - 1 with a Kahler Spyder, 2 with OFR and one with a Gotoh. No problems with any of them. The Gotoh has a larger foot print and I don't necessarily like that. The saddles are pretty cool though.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X