Full Shred in basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred in basswood?

I'm halfway through a week of recording, first for the next Under Eden album and then on to another project (or two) that I've been putting off. In the past, I've used either an alder Soloist Pro or ash Dinky Reverse for my rhythm parts, both with Full Shreds in the bridge. This time around, I've been using a basswood Dinky with an Invader for my rhythms, as I just find it able to get a heavier distorted tone while still in standard tuning. I love the Full Shred because it has such tight low end and good note definition, but it seems to get a little thin on the high end, and have been getting better results that I ever imagined with the Invader in basswood. I also have another Dinky Reverse in ash that now has an Invader installed.

But . . .

I'm contemplating replacing the JBs in a couple of my other basswood Jacksons, and although my first thought was another Invader, would a Full Shred in basswood have a smoother high end and still keep its punchy lows? Or would I sacrifice the tightness that I was getting from alder and ash? I have yet to find anyone using the Full Shred/basswood combination, other than a Harmony Central review that really wasn't very informative. I currently switch guitars for rhythm and lead work, but sure would love to find a pickup that is great for both. The Invader is good for leads, but not great.
    sigpic

I think it (full shred) would work great on short scale muddy guitars.

Comment

The Duncan Distortion is a great all-around pickup that has worked for me in a broad variety of guitars with various woods and bridges. Fairly balanced with good harmonics. If you like the Invader, the DD would (in my opinion) be an even better choice - and likely provide a better lead tone.

If you have used the DD and don't care for it, the new Alternative 8 seems to be catching on as well.
      Last edited by HiOctane; 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM.
      GM,
      www.aftershok.com

Comment

duncan distortion, Super Distortion, or FRED in basswood.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
        X