Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just put in a X2N and it sounds like shit, whats the problem (pot or one coil or)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just put in a X2N and it sounds like shit, whats the problem (pot or one coil or)???

I just had a X2N thrown in (by a guitar tech, so I know its in right) to my Jackson Stealth EX. I just have one humbucker and 1 vol.
    I can't get a decent crisp palm muted riff to save my life. It sounds just ok. It almost sounds as if the distortion was rolled off to about 40% of its max. I've used numerous other high output Dimarzios that had mega crunch and this one sounds like i'm jamming a stock single coil. I expected a lot more crunch out of this thing. Its brand new BTW. The wiring is acurate according to Dimarzios and SD's diagrams.

The possiblity that I thought of on why it sounds bad:

I'm only using a 500k Vol pot for the pickup, and its about 10-15 years old(estimated). Its been used previously. should I get a new one and try it out?

Have any of you had a big difference in the sound of a pickup when a pot was swapped out? any other ideas? Thanks guys.
    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Bad coil, cold solder, bad pot, bad ground. If it has a bad coil you'll be best buying a new pickup.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Plug in a guitar cord and check the ohms on the other end with the volume on 10 if you can.

Comment

Yeah, cuz everyone has an ohmmeter these days
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

bad coil in a new pup? hmm. thats really uncommon. I think i'm putting in a new pot today and i'll see. if thats not it, then i have no idea.
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Yeah, cuz everyone has an ohmmeter these days
            I'm getting thread deja-vu here!

Srsly, you can't really troubleshoot these kind of issues without one. I'd run it back over to the tech if you paid to have it done.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathThrashAttack View Post
              I just had a X2N thrown in (by a guitar tech, so I know its in right) to my Jackson Stealth EX. I just have one humbucker and 1 vol.
              I can't get a decent crisp palm muted riff to save my life. It sounds just ok. It almost sounds as if the distortion was rolled off to about 40% of its max. I've used numerous other high output Dimarzios that had mega crunch and this one sounds like i'm jamming a stock single coil. I expected a lot more crunch out of this thing. Its brand new BTW. The wiring is acurate according to Dimarzios and SD's diagrams.

The possiblity that I thought of on why it sounds bad:

I'm only using a 500k Vol pot for the pickup, and its about 10-15 years old(estimated). Its been used previously. should I get a new one and try it out?

Have any of you had a big difference in the sound of a pickup when a pot was swapped out? any other ideas? Thanks guys.

If you had a tech do it, bring it back and let him figure it out. It will sound like crap on his amp. Could be wiring, pot., workmanship or a bad pickup. A tech. be able to ohm out the pickup make a determination.

Comment

i agree take it back to the tech , let him figure it out

Comment

its a real hot pickup so you cant put it super close to the strings like say and emg. back away a bit and it should clean up some muddiness.

edit- i guess theres no muddiness with 40% gain.LOL. yeah i'd say replace that pot.
                  Last edited by jdr94; 03-29-2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I had an X2N years ago. Best I could get out of it was a mild 70's overdrive. I thought maybe thats what the X2N did since its probably been around since then.I was looking for a metal sound so I swapped it out for an Invader.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                      its a real hot pickup so you cant put it super close to the strings like say and emg. back away a bit and it should clean up some muddiness.
                      I did this and it worked...somewhat, I had to turn up the mids and highs on my amp to get it to poke through.

I thought x2n's had a very pronounced treble response? The palm muting is now crisper sounding. I havent been able to turn my amp up (live in an apartment) but I have a feeling it will sound way better when its loud. thanks jdr94.

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
                        I had an X2N years ago. Best I could get out of it was a mild 70's overdrive. I thought maybe thats what the X2N did since its probably been around since then.I was looking for a metal sound so I swapped it out for an Invader.
                        I just put an invader in my flying v i made and i absolutely love the fucker. Its chunky as hell with some nice low end. I just roll back the bass a tad on my amp and its sick!

Everybody was telling me it had this gross muddy low end. I take it they don't want to adjust their amp at all ol.

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

cool. glad it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathThrashAttack View Post
                            I just put an invader in my flying v i made and i absolutely love the fucker. Its chunky as hell with some nice low end. I just roll back the bass a tad on my amp and its sick!

Everybody was telling me it had this gross muddy low end. I take it they don't want to adjust their amp at all ol.
                            I put in Invader in every guitar I owned. I love em too. I recently installed an Dimarzio Evolution in my Baretta. That may be my new favorite,as my playing style has changed away from the heavy stuff but the Invader still kills.

Comment

even then, the evo is excellent for death metal

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Working...
                              X