Mystery OFR shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery OFR shim

So I'm fine-tuning this Jackson strat, which was converted from a JT6 to an OFR by the original owner. When I took the saddles off, I noticed a single shim piece under four saddes (2 - 5). It is precisely cut, and appears to possibly be factory. Now I've searched the JCF, and have read about factory shims under saddles 3 - 4, but nothing about a 4 saddle factory shim. Any idea what this is? In any event, it is coming out because I need a flatter 16" radius.

there are after market saddle shims out there ya know
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've seen those before, had one on at lesat one of my old Floyded guitars. I think you can use them as Floyd nut shims, too.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
        there are after market saddle shims out there ya know
        No doubt a possibility here. In this case, that would be a very odd mod because it made the radius totally wrong for the neck.
        Last edited by Axewielder; 03-28-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Maybe the last owner bought the floyd used or swapped it off of another guitar and never even knew the shim was there.

Comment

Of all the Floyds I've had, I only had one with the shim. Can't recall now why I was taking the saddles off :think:

Anyhoo, it does seem wierd they'd be under 4 saddles. Maybe the guy had it on a Warmoth with a crazy-round radius?

As for using it for a nut shim, if it's got holes in it (mine didn't), then yeah. Otherwise, there might be a problem
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

http://www.allparts.com/store/bridge...01,Product.asp

http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-s...01,Product.asp

Comment

New Floyds come with that shim to accommodate a more curved radius like 9 1/2. We have to remove them from all the new Floyds before we install them.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
                  New Floyds come with that shim to accommodate a more curved radius like 9 1/2. We have to remove them from all the new Floyds before we install them.
                  Interesting, so are you saying you see the 4-saddle wide shims installed in a stock Floyd, or rather the 2-saddle wide ones?

Comment

AW,

When I installed a brass sustain block to my KV2 with OFR (which I bought brand new back in 2001), it had a shim under saddles 2-5 also. I'm quite sure it's stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Interesting, so are you saying you see the 4-saddle wide shims installed in a stock Floyd, or rather the 2-saddle wide ones?
                      I'm saying every new Floyd Rose I open up in its oem bag and even retail boxed ones straight from Schaller have this shim installed under the 4 inside saddles. I have piles of them that I have removed. I have never seen one come from them with a 2 saddle shim.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
                        I'm saying every new Floyd Rose I open up in its oem bag and even retail boxed ones straight from Schaller have this shim installed under the 4 inside saddles. I have piles of them that I have removed. I have never seen one come from them with a 2 saddle shim.
                        Thanks bro! Another mystery solved.

Comment

Working...
                        X