Charvel SD pointy - DeGarmo style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel SD pointy - DeGarmo style

I’ve been a Ryche fan for a long time and have always wanted to do a replica of Chris DeGarmo’s red and black dagger ESP. I remember seeing Chris play it live on the Mindcrime and Empire tours and thought it would look great as a Charvel. Here’s a live pic of Chris from the Mindcrime tour.

When the San Dimas reissues came out years ago, it got me thinking again about doing this graphic. So I’ve kept an eye out for a used one with a single hum and ebony fingerboard. Well, thanks to Neilli’s impulse buy and buyer’s remorse earlier this year, I found the perfect Charvel for this project. So I had it sent to Dan Lawrence along with a couple pics of Chris’ guitar and Dan turned it around in no time. It took Dan 4 weeks from start to finish – tear down, refin and graphic, top coat and buff and then reassemble. It turned out awesome! The black graphic and hardware on the Ferrari red base make a great contrast. And the guitar plays and sounds just as good. I was wondering about the neck at first but after playing it for a couple hours last night, I realized it’s another great playing Charvel with that smooth, broken in feel.

Thanks again to Neilli and Dan for making this project happen.

Revolution!

Cool!!!
    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Those daggers look pretty thick. But pretty cool - let me know when you get "refinisher's remorse."
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I remember us talking about finishing my unfinished ESP in this manner (still unfinished)

Looks great.

I have this ESP but it's an archtop, and I think it would look bad with daggers because the straight lines would get wavy. But it's the right color, it's a hum-single, and it's got the ebony board.

Comment

I'm still thinking of doing the unfinished in a white with black tri-ryche. Maybe with a Mike Learn twist to it?

Comment

Killer Johnny - Dan's work is always top notch. Congrats.

Comment

Very cool fiddles!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I'm still thinking of doing the unfinished in a white with black tri-ryche. Maybe with a Mike Learn twist to it?
                Go for it! If you're thinking about the Empire version with the skull looking through the Triryche, then Mike would be a good choice for that. But if you're thinking about a shaded Triryche like my soloist, or ever the crossed daggers, then consider giving Dan a shout. He's very cool to deal with and pretty reasonable with price and turnaround.

Comment

fuck yeah! that thing is cool - blood red, your black flag waves high!

Comment

That does look kick ass.

Queensryche never gets enough love (at least the vintage era)
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

I always loved Degarmo's ESP guitars!

That's a very cool twist doing that graphic on a Charvel!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
                        Hey, you never said what pickup you are using in there.

I could have sworn I saw a Seymour Duncan ad saying that they used 59s in the bridge.

I've had good luck getting the tone using PAF style pickups, like the J50BC.

So what pickup are you using and is it working good at nailing the tone?

Comment

Great work!
                          Nice to have a guitar in hand that inspired you in the beginning~

thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Comment

Christ, I love the SD pointies.
                            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                              That does look kick ass.

Queensryche never gets enough love (at least the vintage era)
                              +1 on the kick ass part, that looks sweet and understated
                              +1 on the Queensryche never getting enough love, especially the 80's stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X