Disadvantages to Down Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disadvantages to Down Tuning

Thinking of tuning down a step to "D". What are any possible down sides to this? We got a new singer in the band and he does really well in that lowered key. I've never had the majority of my guitars tuned that low. Give me your opinions, thanks.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Most people say the strings are too floppy at that range, and would suggest stepping up a size or two to maintain the perception of tension.

However, you also increase the girth of each string under your fingers, which means you still have to alter your playing style a bit.

Either way, something will have to change, whether it's your pick attack (no string change) or your fretting (string change).

Personally, I'd go for the pick attack, since thicker strings will require more pressure, which increases the risk of wrist injury.

I keep at least one guitar in D, and another in C#, and find it's easier to adjust my pick attack between E, D, and C# than to change string gauge.

Another point to consider is truss rod adjustments (lower tension on the neck) and possibly intonation.\

You will need to spend time working on your bends, too. With not being used to the lower tension, you'll overbend more often, and if you thought it was bad at standard, it's really horrible at D
    Last edited by Newc; 03-24-2009, 12:00 AM.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Just kick the singer in the nuts before each gig. Problem solved. Ok, maybe not.

Comment

I think D is fine with 10s. It gives you a 9s feel at the lower tuning.
        Scott

Comment

Some guitars may have a problem intonating when tuning lower, since you'll have to move the saddles back. I had one guitar I wanted to tune to D, but Eb was all I could do because the low E string saddle had reached its limit.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I really don't like playing in dropped tunings - nothing sounds right to me - I feel like I'm playing in the wrong place or hitting the wrong frets.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

My ex-singer preferred to sing in D, so I got used to using 9s on that. It's no biggie once you get used to it.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Alternative tuning's can be a fun world once you get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Most people say the strings are too floppy at that range, and would suggest stepping up a size or two to maintain the perception of tension.

However, you also increase the girth of each string under your fingers, which means you still have to alter your playing style a bit.

Either way, something will have to change, whether it's your pick attack (no string change) or your fretting (string change).

Personally, I'd go for the pick attack, since thicker strings will require more pressure, which increases the risk of wrist injury.

I keep at least one guitar in D, and another in C#, and find it's easier to adjust my pick attack between E, D, and C# than to change string gauge.

Another point to consider is truss rod adjustments (lower tension on the neck) and possibly intonation.\

You will need to spend time working on your bends, too. With not being used to the lower tension, you'll overbend more often, and if you thought it was bad at standard, it's really horrible at D
                  Consider, too, that you may need to rethink your pick thickness. And the coarseness of your knuckle hair. How is the lubrication of your joints?

Fortunately, my playing style isn't so precise that stepping up from .09s to .10s doesn't seem affect my fretting hand too much (not at all, actually). And with a drop in tuning, the step up in string size maintains a similar string tension. Which, for me, is more a noticeable issue than the additional .01 difference in string gauge. Maintaining a similar string tension can save you needing to make drastic truss rod adjustments too.

The string tension is why I have my 24 3/4" guitars strung with .10s & .09s on my 25 1/2" scale guitars.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

While the treble strings don't give me trouble, the bass strings aren't as easy to get pinch harmonics from at the 3rd fret, which is a staple of my "style".

And yes, I was doing it long before Zakky-poo was even a consideration

Comment

I run between E and D tunings. E gets 09-42 (I believe) D gets 10-46. I generally like D the most for its heaviness.

Some guitars (like my BC Rich) don't dig D, I can't adjust neck enough.

Can be BIG diff in playing styles between the two. And, it's a lil hard to adjust from E to D if you're pushing the envelope with sweeps and staccato picking. Sweeps and Staccato at D take some time it seems to get that delicate pic hand thing right.

General playing, you won't notice the diff so much and adjust well.

D takes a light touch and offers less tactile feedback to the pick hand. But, I love the fret hand feel and fly around.

Now that I've been playing with 9s @ E more, I'm pretty happy with that for the fret hand and it offers good tactile response to picking. Much more crisp.

I guess that's all obvious tho, I'm just stating it

Comment

My kid is tuned to E w/10s and a floyd. My stuff is tuned to D w/10s and a floyd. Once I set them up I don't adjust or change my playing at all. Honestly, it really don't make that much of a difference to me.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yes, I know.... I have grooves in my pickups from a certain "someone" ! hahaha... Not to mention the OTHER dark thing that happened to my guitar...

10's at E is a bummer for me. I hated it. Was like putting rubber bands on all my fingers. I'm sure ya get used to it tho...

Comment

My 24-3/4" is in E w/11s (wound G).

I really can't understand how you all can play those spaghetti pieces of wire. I myself, like some tention there.

Disadvantages to down-tuning?
                            The only one I had was that when I'd pick up a guitar in D, play that for a while, and then pick one up in E, I'd get the "HOLY SHIT!" factor hit me. It would seem that the guitar is smack out of tune. Apart from that, I never really noticed any difference as long as the strings are under similar tentions.
                            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Thanks all, we're trying it Friday night...
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X