No announcement yet.

A couple of questions for my project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions for my project...

Okay, I've been building a left handed DK2M project for a while now. I ran into two problems...

#1: The guitar has a Single-Dummy-Humbucker layout. When I tested the sound on it, the pickups had a very weak output. I'm not quite sure where I went wrong, could anyone post a wiring diagram or explain what could've happened, or should I get a picture of the cavity?

2# While browsing our lovely J/C forum, I read that the new OFRs were doodoo from China. Should I be worried?

That's all for now. Thanks.
    As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

1. have you had the pickup in another guitar where it sounded better? you could have a dead coil. go to seymourduncan.com and get wiring diagrams.

2. i don't believe that to be the case. and really, most floyds are tone suckers anyway. if it returns to zero, i say get over it. bret (slo100) said it best when he said that you're not really gonna notice a tone difference when you're playing through high gain amps at a band practice. i wouldn't worry about the corksniffing tonal properties; if it functions, it's fine.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for saving my ass on this thing again Sully

I never put the pickup in any other guitars, I just bought it brand new. Should I have put it in another guitar? :think:
      As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

No, it's not so much that, but more of a troubleshooting aspect. If it worked in another guitar, then it's most likely your wiring. Check the duncan site, get some wiring diagrams, and recheck your steps.

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Plug in a guitar cable and check the ohms at the other end with the volume all the way up. Then report back.

Comment

First, define "weak". The choices are "very close to no output" or "not as loud as I thought it would be".

Secondly, is this your first Duncan wiring job that you've done yourself? If you're a DiMarzio user, the wire colors are different for Duncans, so if you've got Red as primary, that's incorrect.

For the humbucker:

Green or Black + Bare to ground. Doesn't matter which one, as long as one is going to ground with the bare wire.

Whatever's not going to ground goes to the switch.

Red+White soldered together (not just taped or twisted, but soldered) and flopping about freely (wrap it in tape, or whatever ya gotta do to make sure it doesn't touch anything).

For the single:
            I'm assuming it's only got 2 wires. One's the hot, one's the ground. Should be easy enough to figure out that one of those goes to the switch and the other to ground.

Switch goes to jack.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Plug in a guitar cable and check the ohms at the other end with the volume all the way up. Then report back.
              Of course this assumes you own an Ohmeter or Mulitmeter
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't really own any of that. As far as weak goes, does "it sounds like a telecaster neck pickup" work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Of course this assumes you own an Ohmeter or Mulitmeter
                  Dang I've always had one of those since the age of 12...

Comment

Originally posted by Leftyzrule580 View Post
                    I don't really own any of that. As far as weak goes, does "it sounds like a telecaster neck pickup" work for you?
                    is this a brand new pickup? does it short out or is the sound clear, but just weak? it almost sounds like you have a dead coil, but a multimeter would tell you for sure. you can get them at radio shack for about $20. it will measure the resistance of the pickup. if it rates below 12, you most likely have a dead coil.

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                    X